cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At lunch today I am going to take in some AU to refine. One piece is a twisted wire (2 strand) bracelet. Together both strands are 1/8" wide. It tests between 8k and 12k white gold. Different parts test differently with my electronic tester. So I tried to cut it in half with a pair of heavy duty wire cutters. I could barely make a dent in it. I then took a jewelers file to it and after 20 strokes I barely got down 2-3 thousands inch. It is a hard metal.

When I first got widely different readings I thought gold filled. But with gold filled I would get junk/good/junk/good. On this I get good/great/good/great.

Any ideas?

I will let all know the results, after lunch, if the refiner will do a separate melt on the bracelet. I am bringing in 64.4gr.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
At lunch today I am going to take in some AU to refine. One piece is a twisted wire (2 strand) bracelet. Together both strands are 1/8" wide. It tests between 8k and 12k white gold. Different parts test differently with my electronic tester. So I tried to cut it in half with a pair of heavy duty wire cutters. I could barely make a dent in it. I then took a jewelers file to it and after 20 strokes I barely got down 2-3 thousands inch. It is a hard metal.

When I first got widely different readings I thought gold filled. But with gold filled I would get junk/good/junk/good. On this I get good/great/good/great.

Any ideas?

I will let all know the results, after lunch, if the refiner will do a separate melt on the bracelet. I am bringing in 64.4gr.

Maybe tungsten filled gold jewelry? I heard they export that from China now.

Jim

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyberdan said:

problem solved 11.2gr of iron - chromium - nickel (and it is non-magnetic)

I knew something was wrong, but my GT3000 kept telling me AU
good thing it didn't cost me very much.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I stick to 90% coins, known named bars and gold American coins. I used to stack jewelry and such but got bit twice so that was the end of that.
By the way cyberdan was it Italian?

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know why you asked Italian. I have had two bracelets marked 14K ITALIAN that were fake. But, when I said it out loud it had a Chinese accent.

This was unmarked and it was part of the 300 pounds of jewelry/watches I bought last year for around $200

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread