Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is so Strange about it ?
I can drive an entire day through Villages (Towns)
here in NE PA that look the Same !
Is it Strange because There are homes Separated By Grass ?
cars in Driveways ? & Private Garages ?
Awesome Architecture with a Nice patina ? an occasional Lost Deer ?
000aaa.jpg

not all 10 story Buildings that look alike ?

NO Wall to Wall Concrete & Homeless Druggies & Illegals in Tents on the Sidewalks ? :o

yes the Gay Pink Garbage cans would be upsetting to live with !

But

Seriously ? Was this Guy Handcuffed to a skyscraper all his life ?

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw nothing strange at all. While some house was a little run down needing a little paint no different to many places. Interesting I saw virtually no graffiti . Other than that nothing I would call strange either.

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My personally I am not a big fan of cities where all of humanity is crammed on top of each other. It is has been one of the biggest urban failures of 20th century around the world the rise of mega cities concrete jungles. Or concrete prisons I like to call them. But alas for many they have no choice. Be cause of work and services.

Many country towns have in essence depopulated from an aging population and lack of employment and infrastructure has kept young people away..

The biggest failure of urban planners around the world was to centralize the populations into large urban centers. There was economic factor behind that but a unforeseen long term economic, social and mental health impact.

I love snooping through places that put my perceptions into balance.

Crow

Peterw

Aug 9, 2015
Blairsville Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Jeff, nothing abnormal there. I’m from blairsville, an hour east of Pittsburgh and all my area looks like that. i lived in New York for a spell,working,, and you couldn’t drag me back to that place. I’m right at home here

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Speaking of strange towns?

One of most charming but strange towns I have come across is Etenil de las Bodegas which is a town in Spain, famous for its dwellings built into rock overhangs above the Río Guadalporcún. According to the 2005 census, the city has a population of 3,016 inhabitants. the church dominates the highest point of the town.

mirador-del-penon-de-los-enamorados-setenil-de-las-bodegas-spain.jpg

When people refer to down town they really have a down town. There is a small canyon gorge ravine that cuts through the middle of town town. the river in the past hollowed out the back creating massive over handing cave formation down one side of the gorge.

x4.JPG

There is evidence generations upon generations of people have lived in the caves for 25000 years. The current constructions date from the 12th century.

calle-calcetas-setenil-de-las-bodegas-spain.jpg

calle-cabrerizas-setenil-de-las-bodegas-spain-2.jpg

Some of the streets are typically narrow. but that adds to the places charm.

x3.JPG

Some house are in poor condition others are in excellent condition. They have plumbing and electricity.

x2.JPG

Many people lives in the cave houses under the town above. Many built houses three stories high to the cave ceiling.

x1.JPG

A typical Spanish town everything shut for siesta. and re opens again in the evening.

x12.JPG

Some parts seem like tunnel with houses either side.

x13.JPG

At night the taverns and bars are open to the wee hours. the river on the over side of wall below.
x14.JPG

Technically it a town under a town. When the locals say down town they really mean down town?

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
here is looking inside a air bnb the tavern had flamenco Spanish dancers in tourist season.

got hammered on wine. hate the crap. Always have bad hang over on wine. they drink to wee hours. Afternoons are dead in the village siesta time. At night till late it comes alive . Hey I am a guy when hungry enough can eat the maggots off a dead wombats ass if i am hungry. So my food review not so great a person to review, But in essence the food was delicious if undersized portion wise. But after few wines you do not care. I found the people rather gracious there. Its not too over the top with mega tourism as other parts of Spain.

You can see inside a cave house. Just one of weird and wacky place around the globe.

x6.JPG

x5.JPG

x9.JPG

x8.JPG

x11.JPG

x7.JPG

It should be noted not all is in good condition as this one. But hey for me it it is up there with strange villages or at least unusual villages you do not see every day.

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread