strange meteorite story

vrmnt

Mar 18, 2011
Alright ... hope this 40 yr old story doesn't bore people to death. I am looking for ideas and /or comments.

When I was in my 20's, a terrifically nice old guy I knew asked me if I would be willing to help him set up a trapline with him for the last time in his life (he was well over 70.) He still had all the knowledge he needed to trap muskrats but his body was pretty much worn out. I agreed to carry his traps for him and to set them up where and how he said to. At the agreed upon time, I picked him up and we drove to a small meandering stream in a rural area where he had trapped as a kid.

Within a couple of minutes of leaving the car the old-timer pointed to a normal-looking large rock sticking out of the ground looking very much like any other rock in this cow pasture. He handed me a hammer that we would be using to stake out the traps and directed me to go to the rock and hit it with the hammer. Even though it seemed a strange request, I complied, and to my surprise it rang out as though it was made of metal. He chuckled and said that it was a meteorite and that it had fallen when he, himself, was a kid.

The old-timer is long gone. I am now 64 yrs old. A TV show I watched recently got me thinking about that meteorite again, and I took a drive to see if I could locate that spot from long ago. Sure enough .... I found the spot. The bad news is that there is now a house very close to where i believe the meteorite was (is) located. I don't know if it was covered over when the homeowner graded his yard or picked up with some heavy equipment and dropped it in a gully close by .... or, I suppose, someone could have recognized what it was and saved or sold it. Sure seems like I would have read something about it in the newspaper if the latter were the case though.

As I remember, the ordinary looking "meteorite" was covered with lichen and was about three or four feet in diameter.

The house on the site appears to be about 30 years old ... though I could verify that with a trip to the town clerk.

Any ideas?

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'd scout the area thoroughly and hopefully you have a metal detector which could eventually help you find it. It needs to be not too deep for the detector to find also.

Is this private land? If so you'll need to split or make arrangements with the owner. Worth a try .. that's prob a million dollar meteorite.

Good Luck, Joe :hello2:

OP
OP
V

vrmnt

Mar 18, 2011
Joe

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is private land. I think I will take the next step and look up the owner's name and see if he/she is the original owner... and maybe I can find out who did the original site work for the house. I, too, am concerned about the depth, though in this area the most likely scenario is for the large rocks to simply be covered over with the dirt from the cellar hole as the yard is being leveled ... still, that could put it as much as 3 ft underground ... not sure if a detector would find it that deep. Why do you say "eventually?"

vrmnt

Wallydraigle

Greenie
Apr 2, 2010
This is probably not a meteorite. If it fell when the old man said it did, then when you saw it it wouldn't have been nearly old enough to have been covered in lichens. A piece of solid iron would have to have its surfaced weathered for a long time before lichens could grow on it at all, and lichens themselves are very slow growing.

There are rocks which are not metal but still ring out when struck.

OP
OP
V

vrmnt

Mar 18, 2011
Wallydraigle

Thanks for your comment.

"Map lichen" in this area doesn't take all that long to get established .... I visit a certain gravestone with a polished marble surface that has been in place for exactly 56 years and I have been cleaning the same type of lichen off of it for at least ten years. It seems that it doesn't really need a weathered surface for the algae/fungus to take hold and form the "patches" that cover this rock ... as long as the surface is irregular enough to trap some water to keep the algae/fungus alive.

You could well be correct that the object is not a meteorite, however I am not sure why this old fellow would even know about the strange characteristics of this rock if he didn't know about it falling when he was a kid.

I have done some research in the town and have gotten the name of the fellow that built the house ... not sure how hard it will be to find the name of the excavator.

My real reticence in moving forward with the current home owner is that as soon as I explain what I am looking for, it seems to me that he/she will say "thanks, see you later ... thanks for the information."

Hope i'm not just being defensive in the hopes that there really is a hidden treasure out there.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
When Ellis Hughes first found the Willamette Meteorite in 1902, the first thing he did was strike it with a piece of granite nearby. The meteorite "... rang like a bell." While the Willamette didn't have any lichens or moss growing on it, it did have large holes (not normally associated with meteorites either) from having laid there for 12,000-15,000 years.

Go back. Hit is with the hammer again. If it "rings like a bell" it very likely is a meteorite. Try to break off a small specimen of an ounce or so for examination.

If it really is as large as you say it is, it could be worth millions. Currently authentic meteorites are selling for around $10,000/lb.

While you're there, try taking some photos too. The pics will be worth a lot in the future if it really is a meteorite.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread