Strange Noises from ATPro

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On two separate occasions, a week apart, in two locations miles apart, I've had the strangest thing occur. I'd be hunting fine, get a signal typical of an aluminum can, and move on. I'd move on, but the pro started acting like it wouldn't let go of the aluminum. Constant stammering, chattering noises. I did a reset, manually ground balanced, and even changed the batteries. When I'd turn the machine back on, the noises would start again, and I'm a block away from where it began. Changing frequencies had no effect. As to the two separate locations, the first occurrence was in a vacant lot, in town; the second was in a rural area. The day after the first time, the machine behaved perfectly. Today was the second occurrence. I'm waiting to see what happens tomorrow. Has anyone else experienced something like this? I've had the Pro for a year now, put hundreds of hours on it, and found my share of silver, jewelry, and artifacts. In short, it's an awesome machine.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i would take the coil cover off and clean it ,if you have one.
brad

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would take the coil cover off and clean it ,if you have one.
brad
I agree, good cleaning and check all connections. Do all the simple things first. It amazes me how much dirt gets under the coil covers. I clean my on a regular basis

HH, Relic Nut

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Sounds like it is EMI issues....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Be sure coil cable is wrapped properly and no floppy floppy going on too..

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make sure your coil wire connection is tight. It happened to me cpl of times and I randomly ck'd the connection and it was loose so I tightened it and everything was fine

OP
OP
U

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, for the input. I don't use a coil cover, or have a second coil, but you all got me thinking. I gave my stock DD coil a good cleaning, made sure my coil wire was wound tightly, and tightly connected at the console. I went to an area where old artifacts and a few silvers have turned up; and had a trouble free hour and a half of hunting. I'm going to revisit the vacant lot, and see if it gets noisy, and try to locate any source of EMI.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't be afraid to tighten it down good. It's on a crappy spot.

OP
OP
U

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure is. For the first nine months, I was continually tightening that coupling. I finally gave it a nominal snug, with a pair of pliers. Funny thing is, the headphone connector never has loosened up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread