Strange penny

Daniel964

Jan 25, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Strange penny that was in the rejects when I dumped halves today. Looks like it was struck with a die at least 2 times on each side. On one side you can see where it has the head and back of the coin. Any Idea how this happened or if it's worth keeping. Does it have any $ value?

Thanks
Daniel

Attachments

• DSCF0117.JPG
    DSCF0117.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 359
  • DSCF0119.JPG
    DSCF0119.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 351
  • DSCF0120.JPG
    DSCF0120.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 349
  • DSCF0121.JPG
    DSCF0121.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 352
Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
One of the strikes appears to be reversed. If so, this may be a post-mint effect created by placing another cent on top and then striking it.

OP
OP
D

Daniel964

Jan 25, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
PBK said:
One of the strikes appears to be reversed. If so, this may be a post-mint effect created by placing another cent on top and then striking it.

Could have that occurred by the penny being stuck on the die and striking the next blank?

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They probably would have been fused together then

HH
-GC

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
It looks like a Penny Error its worth keeping if it is, penny errors are normally not worth a whole lot especially the modern stuff but they are worth more then a penny.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it to a dealer. Someone could have put the two pennies in a vise and tightened. Is it larger than normal in diameter?

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
D

Daniel964

Jan 25, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Kantuckkeean said:
Take it to a dealer. Someone could have put the two pennies in a vise and tightened. Is it larger than normal in diameter?

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

When I set it on another penny it loos to be the same size. If you look at the one side you can see where the edge is raised some where looks like it was hit harder on that side.

I'll try to get better pictures of it soon. Or you can copy and paste the pictures to your puter and enlarge them.

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga
Penny errors like that are worth alot a few hundred only if it's legit. I can tell ya it's not from a die press at the mint by the backward letters. It's a penny being press on top of another penny and not by a vise. I've tried the vise and it doesn't work only way this could been done is by a die press with tons of pressure. Plus you probably have to have the penny heated up a few hundreds of degrees. Only other explantion is it been done at the mint with a freshly made penny that gotten on top of another penny then pressed together. I say its a 50/50 chance of being a error from the mint or a good conterfeit.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i found this here: http://www.jimscoins.net/error_coin_examples.php i believe it is a clashed die
clashed_dies-120x117.jpg

a clashed die occurs when there is a malfunction in the planchet feeding mechanism and no planchet is fed into the striking chamber allowing the dies to strike each other. The obv. die will leave an impression in the rev. die and vice versa. Coins struck with these dies will exhibit details of both the obv and rev. on each side of the coin. The amount of detail can vary from barely discernable to very noticeable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread