22.6 KB · Views: 539
  • quarter side.jpg
    quarter side.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 526

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
It looks like someone might have used it as a screw driver. I don't think it is a mint error. Probably damaged after being in circulation for awhile.
BOB

OP
OP
wirelessworldinc

wirelessworldinc

Dec 30, 2005
Indiana
The quarter is perfectly straight and not bent. Where it says In God We Trust, the letters in trust are slanted and the metal on the coin on the rim is missing up further.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like a mint error to me.
Look at the metal between the "in God we trust" and the rim. It seems to either be doubled or cracked, or something.

Might wanna have an error expert look at it.

S

stefen

If it was compressed by a hammer or other crushing force, there would be similar evidence on the opposite side...

None evident.

Sorry that I cannot offer an explanation, but just an observation of what isn't.

OP
OP
wirelessworldinc

wirelessworldinc

Dec 30, 2005
Indiana
Thank you for all the replies. I will take it and have it looked at. The pictures just are not the same as having it in your hand. :)
Mary ann

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dealt with errors as a coin collector for a number of years. I can say with 99.99999% certainty (nothing is ever 100%) that it is post mint damage.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
That ones not bad. Take a look at this half that made it thru the coin counter into a bank roll.

Attachments

• beat up a.jpg
    beat up a.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 467
  • beat up b.jpg
    beat up b.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 471

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have received several that bad and some even worse. Makes you wonder how the heck it made it thru the machine!

J

JDSCOIN

Hard to tell with this one by pictures.

There are many things to consider. Had this coin looked this way and been in higher grade it may have been easier to determine. But because it has been circulated that wear can hide what we would be looking for. I would have to have such a coin in my hands to view it myself under a scope. However, even so, I can tell you now that even IF it were an error, it would not be worth much. And the reason for that also has to do with a number of factors - particularly, the fact that it is as worn as it is.

I am glad to share my knowledge of coins so that more people know more about what they are looking at when it comes to coins. It is a learning process. It takes time and patience. But it can be fun to learn these things along the way. Best wishes,

JDSCOIN

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread