strange quarter

kha924

Jan 29, 2017
NWPA 814
Detector(s) used
LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
]Well I'm a new member here have lurked around for quite sometime. I've always been able to find answer s to my questions using the search function but this quarter has me stumped. Got it in change from a bar wondering what made it end up looking like this? It almost has a silver feel to it which I would doubt but it definitely has a strange pattern on it. Any input is appreciated! Thanks kevin

IMAG1253.jpgIMAG1255.jpgIMAG1259.jpgIMAG1260.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 4
when I used to drink.everything looked upside down too

Looks like an ordinary quarter that was dug metal detecting. Might have been put in a tumbler to clean it up.

Yep,, I have to agree with "doninbrewster" on this one.
That quarter might have been scooped out of salt water.

If that's 1965 I see on it, it's not silver, they allow metal detectors in bars?

Yeah it's a 1965 and I'm no expert but this thing sounds silver also the tarnish on the edge is almost black ive found alot of clad coins and most seemed to be tarnished green. Never have found a silver digging yet maybe someday..I'll have to find a scale either way it's a win, I won 81.50 on bar slot machine and got it as change. Still looks pretty cool

Last edited:
Looks to have been in the water. Probably a dug piece or found in the elements.

coins I have found in dirt driveways which have had cars hit them over a period of time have looked like this.

The thing that has really confused me is how this coin feels in your hand and sounds when touching other change it sounds silver how would i check for silver content?

The thing that has really confused me is how this coin feels in your hand and sounds when touching other change it sounds silver how would i check for silver content?

Clean it up...use something to expose the surface of the rim...if you see the copper...u have your answer...

You found it in a bar looks like its had a few too many!!!!!!Ive looked like that before!!!!!!

Unfortunately the 1965 quarters missed having silver in them by one year - so close! Looks like some type of physical or chemical trauma was applied to your quarter tho. That's one of the aspects of this hobby that makes this hobby fun :thumbsup: - trying to figure out why we find comes out of the ground like it does. Welcome to TNet! :hello:

I found a 50 over time.cent piece on the beach once that looked just like that. I always assumed it was worn from years of shifting around in salt water and sand. Eroded over the years.

Maybe been in a fire also. In any case it's post mint damage and worth 25 cents.

I politely disagree, I'm only willing to offer 18 cents for it.
(OP pays shipping)

i did clean it up a bit and definitely has copper in it but it has a wierd sound to it so i dug out my finds from last summer and found to other badly tarnished coins that had a similar sound to them both were from the 60's another mystery to me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back