Strange run of boxes

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Picked up four boxes today and had a couple odd moments that I thought I'd share. They seem to exemplify the ups and downs of CRH.

First was when I picked up some cash from one of my money banks. While there one of the tellers approaches me and says she's been saving halves for me and hands me a handful with a shiny 40% in it. Good start.

Next stop my supply bank. I approach a teller and say I'd ordered some halves. She sends someone to get them. While waiting I spy a stack of halves in her tray and ask for them. They were right on the counter in plain sight. Oh no she says, I'm saving those for another customer who had asked for them and will be coming back. No big deal I think and didn't even mention them again as this bank has a standing order of halves for me with no fees or hassles. Can't win them all I figure. So off I go with my boxes and head out for a little search.

First box had one 40%. Looked like a bright mint set clad coin that someone must have missed.

Next box had 980 - 1978 coins (maybe a slight exaggeration...but not much of one) - and then on the last roll a shiny 40% rolled out. This one couldn't have been missed as it looked like a 90%.

Next box had four 40%. Nothing special about them but better than my three average.

Last box had a shiny 1964 on an end roll. Obvious mint set coin and looked great except the rolling machine damage, but a good sign. Decided I'd start right with it. Nothing else in the roll and didn't pull another coin till the fifth roll, another shiny mint set coin but a 40%. This kept happening every fifth roll or so until I about the fourth find in and scored a 1970D. Strange as I haven't been finding much in my boxes but this is the second 1970D in two weeks of light searching. Now I'm sure this is a collection dump here but nothing really astounding. Next roll I pull had a 1987D on the end. I don't think I've ever seen that and opened it without thinking...later I was kicking myself as that would have been an interesting end-roll photo. Tossed it away though as I have quite a few of those. A few more rolls in and a 1976S Silver proof appears. Nice looking but damaged from the rolling machine. Later the 1987P appears, and also as an end coin but this one had the reverse showing. In the end this box had fifteen 40% and two 90% Kennedy.

Made for an interesting lunch break from work.

HH

Maine_Jim

Upvote 0

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Jim,
I had a box this year that had an awful lot of clad proofs, probably more than 100. After looking at a few of them I tossed them back.
Rich

OP
OP
maine_Jim

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Yea - silver is sure nice to find after a run of skunks. Strange though getting the 1987's on the ends.

Maine_Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread