Strange Topic on Ballast Piles

99*

On a recent trip out I discovered four ballast piles all with a couple of hundred yards of on another, there are old gallows on the shoreline close by and it made sense it would have been an old anchorage on the outer reef there was a gudgeon and some ballast so the trail led to the anchorage,
in this area there were mounds of ballast not scattered but straight from a shipwreck photo journal, when i dipped in my "doctor" (MD) picked up zero every ballast pile I used a scooter on and found zip, no nails spikes or the likes,zip. I cannot assume that the ballast was unloaded in such a manner as if it was thrown overboard it would appear scattered and this was not scattered so it also resembled the shape of an egg, Ive seen and stripped loads of ballast piles no stranger there, but in this instance it is weird, no timbers nothing, does anyone have a clue what phenomenon this is were the crew so anal about the ballast that they piled it neatly on the seabed to make room for other vessels?, just joking. Some input and wiser knowledge would be great.99*

OP
OP

99*

Yep, I realsie this my question was how did the stones fall so close together in the shape of a ballast pile and not scaterred from being thrown? Its confusing.99*

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
throwing exerts more energy than just simply dropping over the side...........save the energy to load the cargo.....

OP
OP

99*

Logical, thank you. I rush off to often. One of them must be good, time will tell, she lost a rudder out far and quarried stone on the way in the others so far are river rock. Yep, dropping would make the pile! Thanks 99*

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions