Strange, Two like relics found 3 miles apart

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Saturday, I dug up a relic that I have found one before and funny thing it was dug from a nearby site very similar to the site we detected this Saturday.

Anyone have an idea what they may be? They are identical only one has the connected shaft broken off, Looks like some type of turn crank gizmo?

Would appreciate any and all comments on these like finds,

Thanks, Paul

Attachments

• 000000000001.jpg
    000000000001.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 477
  • 00000000001.jpg
    00000000001.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 454

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Paul, I too have found that identical relic in adobe sites before. I recall one such item was found at an adobe site (blt. early 1830s) that had no more human influence after about the early 1860s (an early 1860s IH was the newest coin found). So I know the item at least dates to no later than .... say ... the 1850s.

Hope someone has an ID. Have you tried putting it on the T'depot relic forum? There's some aces over there, that hunt colonial sites back east.

OP
OP
Old California

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Thanks Tom,

Good to hear you've found one or knew of someone finding one in the same or similar type of adobe settlement, I don't post on the Treasure Depot anymore but will try the Findsmall relic forum and just now seen Treasure Net has a (What is it forum) so I will post on TreasureNet as well since allot of hardcore hunters visit this forum.

The more I play with the circular relics the more I feel it's pointing in the direction of something pressed into wood maybe a Musket stock or ?

Hopefully someone on one of the forums will correctly ID the circular objects, I'll get back with an answer and hopefully soon :)

Thanks again, I'll try to make time and post it within the hour on Findsmall.
Paul (Ca)

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
depending on their diameter, i am thinking concho. A leather lace or saddle string could be threaded though it i imagine. either for tack, or maybe even a pair of chaps.

It look like modern conchos have two slots though, search for slotted concho.

What size are they?

ghostdog

Apr 22, 2007
Looks like a early version of a modern grommet , fastener or plug, maybe used for a varity of connecting uses"s,such as a leather strap fastened to early style Spanish boot spur. Years ago I used to sell auto body parts,and I can recall mant types of auto body fastners looking similiar to your finds.

OP
OP
Old California

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Thanks everyone for your replies, Sorry for the slow reply just now catching up it's been a long two days.

I had posted on a few forums inquiring on a possible ID on these two same like relics from similar areas here in California, Someone from Fla. has found several of these from Spanish colonial sites and another person said he's found several similar type from CW sites. Everyone had a different version what the quarter size brass/bronze circular relic may be.

One person said it's a finial,
Another a closure to an old canteen,
Several say it's a Concho with a leather strap attached to the single punched hole,

Well, I did a Google search on the finial and on Concho's with a shaft attached. I kind of want to believe they are a Concho since I did find similar Concho's on Google do have some type of attached shaft in this case a shaft shaped to lock into place and I can visualize a leather strap dangling from the relic.

One things for sure, they are old :)

Thanks again everyone for your replies, I'll post a pic of the one found from the Fla. relic hunter. As you can see it is the same type of relic found here in Ca. :wink:
Paul (Ca)

Attachments

• 000000000000001.JPG
    000000000000001.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 380

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
thanx for posting the FL pix Paul. The fact that they say they found them at FL Spanish "colonial" sites, confirms they are old, whatever they are. When I found a few out this way, I just knew they were old because of the patina, metal feel, strata/site found in (surrounding targets) etc.... Interesting mystery.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
May I suggest a leather horse bridal keeper. Something like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread