Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series
However, Utah has a "proof" finish coin, which bears the "P" mark. It is a special release collectible. Could be, when it was dipped, it covered any look of copper.

There are no "proof" finish P-mint coins, they are "satin" finish and definitely doesn't have the reflective fields you see on this coin. On the contrary, the satin finish coins are non-reflective by design. Doubting the mercury dip theory? Try it and see with another coin. But be careful handling that stuff.

If you really feel you have something special, send it in (ANACs doesn't require membership fees) for grading and certification. I offer my opinion here based on what I see and am told by you about the coin. I've been collecting for 45 years and have seen many examples like yours and have experimented myself in chemistry class way back when. ;D

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Satin or not, I think they look pretty shiney!

Attachments

• utah quarter P.JPG
    utah quarter P.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 346

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series
Ahh, the saga continues. Satin-finish coins are less reflective than general circulation coins. The dies are specially treated to "rough-up" the fields so they do not reflect light as well as non-treated coins. Your particular coin has reflective fields so it is not satin finish. Modern proofs also have a cameo effect ... the fields are mirrored and the devices (portrait, lettering, etc.) are frosted. This creates a contrast between the fields and devices. Deep cameo is an almost black against white contrast. Your coin has mirroring on both the fields and devices. This was not done at the mint.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After looking around some, I DO see that there are several places that are "detailing" coins (not just the Utah coin) - by putting a silver coating on them, by painting them (gawd!), etc.

Geesh!

B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread