Strange Wheat Penny

Diamondman307

Sep 20, 2016
Stockton, CA
Detector(s) used
Pioneer EX, Garrett GP Pointer, Bounty Hunter Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, so I was hunting a box of pennies my grandma gave me, and I got this wheat penny. What type of error is it, and how rare would it be?
1483677615107.jpg

Upvote 6
If it is an error it would be a rare coin I'm not sure but I would lean more towards what jackalopezl1 said!! Always check with a coin expert to be sure Ive seen coins where the stamping is double off center ect nothing like that though I would be excited to take it to a coin shop though. Just never sell a coin there you will get ripped most times. Can you send some sun here to MI...... Thanks for the post!!!!!!!

Quite interesting...a modified wheat penny...I wonder if it is...

Could you show the other side please?

Maybe it was a clothes dryer that caused that?

Hard to say exactly how, but it was definitely damaged in some way. No possible way that happened during the minting process.

WAG;
To me it looks modified to become some kind of coin operated token.

Or it may have been stuck in something that moved around like what you see. similar to dryer but more tightly and precise.

So it is likely not mintmade...this is weird.

Does the other side have the same type of damage (defect)?

No, it is only the front.

Well, it's not important. It is just worn in a circle.
You say that a picture of the other side isn't important but unless I missed something you haven't revealed a date.

This really does appear to be post mint manipulation but the more info you provide, the more likely you may get an educated answer.

So a picture of the Lincoln side with a date could actually help.

Looks like it got stuck in a coin counting machine. I've seen similar damage that was from a counting machine but not as severe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back