Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was wondering how many people have knocked on a strangers door to ask permission to hunt their property? I did it a few times and always got a yes but it took time to build the nerve. There are just some perfect old spots I pass all the time and can't let myself not ask soon but it doesn't seem to get any easier each time I have to do it! Haha

Upvote 0

dirtydig

Oct 7, 2013
virginia
Detector(s) used
A T Pro, ace 250, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have done it many times and gotten many no s and many yeses. i have the most trouble with realtors. my best is with renters they dont seem to care as much. sometimes its all about the mood for today. right now im waiting on a spot i have been dying to hunt. i contacted the owner but she said maybe... not sure if i will ever turn that into a yes, but persistance may pay off. its the bad rep we have gotten over the years. i had one guy tell me ok but dont hunt to the left of me cause he doesnt like you people. "you people" just take it in stride and move on. dont get mad. it is upseting that owners of property would rather let it rot than save it. i once told a land owner to come with me i have a spare machine...the rest is for another time.

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it is a place you pass by frequently see if you can catch em getting the mail, or out in the yard, much easier for you not having to knock, and much easier for them because you are probably not interrupting a meal, or waking a baby up from a nap or whatever. If you get a relationship with the right people one place can turn into several very quickly.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
If it is a place you pass by frequently see if you can catch em getting the mail, or out in the yard, much easier for you not having to knock, and much easier for them because you are probably not interrupting a meal, or waking a baby up from a nap or whatever. If you get a relationship with the right people one place can turn into several very quickly.
That's the way I do it,got some nice land to hunt too.

Last edited:

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do it all the time, although some days seem easier than others. Most say yes but I often get looks like I'm an alien. Can't blame them, especially this day in age.

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad I'm not alone asking. Some spots are just calling my name and never detected. I'm lucky that there no people that detect in my area. The odd person I know has one but it was used once or twice if at all and is collecting dust somewhere. A funny time for me was when I asked this 80-90 year old woman and she said "no problem. That must be something you want to do when grow up?". I said "yes it is"and left it at that but the funny thing is I'm 34 years old! Haha

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was in a real old small town heading to a public party spot on the river and I stopped at a yard sale. The yard sale guy was shooting the breeze with me and I mentioned where I was going.

He then told me nobody around here wants metal detectors on their property. Said guys have come around digging up the strip between sidewalk and street. And going in yards without asking. Too bad a few people ruined things.

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was in a real old small town heading to a public party spot on the river and I stopped at a yard sale. The yard sale guy was shooting the breeze with me and I mentioned where I was going.

He then told me nobody around here wants metal detectors on their property. Said guys have come around digging up the strip between sidewalk and street. And going in yards without asking. Too bad a few people ruined things.

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was in a real old small town heading to a public party spot on the river and I stopped at a yard sale. The yard sale guy was shooting the breeze with me and I mentioned where I was going. He then told me nobody around here wants metal detectors on their property. Said guys have come around digging up the strip between sidewalk and street. And going in yards without asking. Too bad a few people ruined things.
Still never hurts to ask. Someone is bound to say yes. You can assure them no damage will be done and even offer to take any trash around you happen to find. I got into one private property that was off limits by asking permission. The elderly man was shocked someone actually asked first that he let me. A lot of photographers and walkers sneaking on there. Lucky for me no one ever with a detector. Haha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread