Strangest flat button ive seen. any help?

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had to get out yesterday evening for a little swinging and came up with this small copper flat button. its about the diameter of a half dime. it has a bird on it for sure but the center part could either be a torch or ship mast? I really don't have a clue what the design is but I really like it. Thanks for looking IMG_20160715_171714249.jpgIMG_20160715_172948869_HDR.jpg

Upvote 11
First "congrats" on your flat button find and could the center part be a light house, my best guess - anyway thanks for sharing your pictures & story & I wish you many more great finds while out dirt fishin.

Texas ED

Yeah that's a odd one

But very cool flat button. Hardly ever see them with design like that

HH Jer

Can't help ID . But awesome button !!

maybe a shotgun and bird --hunting jacket button?

Great find. I was thinking similar to Ivan...an 1800s bird hunting button. I've seen a few dug with dogs on them but not birds. Not sure on the central post, but the item to the right of the post could be a powder horn? Congrats on a neat early find regardless.

Hi; In order to help We need a better picture of BOTH sides. Then We here can ID and date it ok. Please remember that We need both sides on anything you or others Post ok. We'll be glad to help. You'll be amazed at the info We can provide. Also it is NOT copper. It is brass ok. Copper was never used except in Special cases. Copper was to valuable to use on a button ok. PEACE:RONB
We await. Thanks.

I posted pictures of both sides. I'll take better pics tomorrow it's storming here now and they should turn out better in natural light. Thanks

Hi; My bad; The pictures did not come up when I first clicked on the Tread. Been having pc problems for a few days now. I'm gonna get it checked. I just saw the pictures.. The Front has an image of a Galleon type ship, maybe Spanish, the Post standing on the Front of the ship is the ships Mast Head. It appears to be the Mast Head of a Woman which was a fairly common design back then. The other Post in the center of the ship is a Torch. The button is a 1 Piece Button hence it predates 1820. I believe it is a Commemorative Button. It is brass. There is no viewable Makers Mark making it harder to date. I do believe it dates around 1800 ok. The 1 Piece Button was virtually extinct by 1820 with the Advent of the 2 Piece Button ok.
Value: $5 - $8. Nice find. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

Thanks Barker. It's the best flat button I've dug and I appreciate your input.

That's a very cool and unusual button Todd-great find. Because there is no back mark I wound say it predates 1800 so it's from the 18th century. Looks to me like it could possibly be a viking ship? Who knows.

Nice find! Here is another with a design like that in The Big Book of Buttons (Hughes / Lester) at pg. 564.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    963.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    938.4 KB · Views: 77
Nice find! Here is another with a design like that in The Big Book of Buttons (Hughes / Lester) at pg. 564.

Good ID on the story, Noah's Ark crossed my mind.
I could see it was stamped brass, which makes me think 1850-1950. No date in that book?

These story types where popular in the late 19th C, & it didn't look earlier than that to me. There are lots of exceptions to the flat button rule.

Thanks Bramblefind you nailed it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back