Strangest Thing You Ever Dug?

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

This one is worth a few chuckles....quite a few years back I was detecting an old school sports field which ended up giving me 3 gold rings and lots of other goodies well this one spot kept giving me an overload signal.

Eventually curiosity got the better of me and decided to find out what the mystery item was....well I started digging and when I got down about 12" the mystery was solved...I finally hit the edge of a manhole cover guess they added fill at some point and just covered it up heck I should have dug it out and sold it for scrap...:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Last edited:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumleft: How did you cover up that Hole Chug

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only dug a small hole and just hit the outer edge of the manhole cover but enough to id it....I just carefully filled up the hole and and made a note to myself to ignore it in future....here's my favorite gold ring from this site a Rolls Royce long service ring with the inscription worn off so no chance of returning it.

Regards + HH

Bill

Attachments

• dsc01015 (2).jpeg
    dsc01015 (2).jpeg
    23 KB · Views: 256

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Folks,

This one is worth a few chuckles....quite a few years back I was detecting an old school sports field which ended up giving me 3 gold rings and lots of other goodies well this one spot kept giving me an overload signal.

Eventually curiosity got the better of me and decided to find out what the mystery item was....well I started digging and when I got down about 12" the mystery was solved...I finally hit the edge of a manhole cover guess they added fill at some point and just covered it up heck I should have dug it out and sold it for scrap...:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

You might have missed an opportunity. Some people collect those things.

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have dug two cremation tags out of the same field
i reburied them down over 30 inches with chucks of iron over them plus can slew
on the back side is a number that can be used to track who they belong to
so i will not post the picture of the number
Picture 003.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was gonna tell of some strange finds...
But after hearing of Chug and Reds find...

I cant :P . .. mine now seem trivial and boring. :)

banner... lol ... cant imagine it at the top of the page everyday.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But I will tell you of the very large fish hook...

When I started to pull it was stuck... I swiped some sand away and all of a sudden I got a shock... an eye was staring at me.

Was a large tarpon that somehow was buried there ... why with the hook or whatever is mystery.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
A buddy of mine owns a couple Burger Kings in Germany, they have these play grounds on them with mulch and he was telling me that it was going to be removed and have some sort of rubber mat put down. So I asked if I could MD them before that happened and he was cool with it.

Found most of what I would have expected of course; however I also found a Potato Rake about 35 cm deep under the mulch.

I kept it, cleaned it and still use it. It is very old, but has the stamp and works just fine. I did however have to look on the internet to find out what sort of rake it was exactly because to me it seemed like a bend pitch fork.

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best I can do is 22 quarters in knee deep water in one hole. Seriously, who swims with 22 quarters.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$5.25

While detecting the backyard of a demo house, I found a clad quarter wrapped with a deteriorated Five-Dollar note.

Five+Quarter.JPG

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Pic Of the Fiver

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
A glass jar with voodoo stuff in it. In van cortland park in the little cemetery. Yeah i know your not suppose to hunt cemeteries This was back in
76 when I didn't know any better. Borrowed my brothers detector and went out for the first time. I also detected around the Historic Van cortland mansion which is gated. Just walked in swinging the detector. No one chased me out. What I remember about detecting the mansion was that the lawn was clean as a whistle. What can I say. I was young, dumb and I had a detector for a day.

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I once found a tiny "horseshoe". For all intents and purposes it looked like a heavy duty shoe for a working animal, only the thing is, it was small enough to fit in your pocket or on the palm of one's hand. It was very rusty and had clearly been used, but I've never figured out what on earth it would have been attached to and why. I had found other horseshoes in the same field before and this one could have fit entirely inside the open area of the other ones.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red Dug Up Big Red On the Beach 9 inch Vibrating Dildo
Found one in a parking lot when I was working loss prevention. Called the store manager to come get it, since I was following a possible car burglar :laughing7::thumbsup: I got a great picture of him walking across the parking lot with it. Do you know how much leverage you have with a picture like that?!?!? :laughing7: He never said a bad word about me till he transferred.

c3Zd23

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some type of ... rock / skull... I don't know but I'm pretty sure it'd pre culumbia

Attachments

• 1484033186594.jpg
    1484033186594.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 1484033213744.jpg
    1484033213744.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 1484033275654.jpg
    1484033275654.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 65

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread