Strategy Question for Detecting Near Metal Poles/Posts

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am curious what strategies people use to avoid missing targets that are near a metal pole, metal post, or other large metal object. Examples include fence posts, metal supporting structures of park benches, playground poles etc. So far, I try to avoid moving the detector in the direction of the pole and instead go in the opposite direction to the closest point of the pole where I don't get a signal and move back. Still, I always feel like I may be missing targets next to the pole. Any ideas on what to do? I just ordered an AT Pro as an upgrade to my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV if that matters. Thanks!

Upvote 0

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are a few tricks that can be helpful. Lower sensitivity, smaller coil, set the coil next to the pole, then swing straight away listening for a second beep. Any combination or all of these can be useful.
luvsdux

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love fences I find all kinds of stuff around them. I set my detector to where there's a constant tone then listen for the silent beep. Lol might just be my detector but it works. Found .85 in clad yesterday around the football stadium fence.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For park benches, I have been using my pinpointer to quickly sweep the area. Of course it's not deep but will find recent drops.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love fences I find all kinds of stuff around them. I set my detector to where there's a constant tone then listen for the silent beep. Lol might just be my detector but it works. Found .85 in clad yesterday around the football stadium fence.

If it's a "silent" beep, how do you hear it? :laughing7:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For park benches, I have been using my pinpointer to quickly sweep the area. Of course it's not deep but will find recent drops.
I agree, I use a Uniprobe pin pointer for those areas. It will go down several inches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread