Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Drove 25 miles after work yesterday to a tearout site, a street with 100+ y.o. homes on it. I found out I had about 20% battery left on the detector, so I had about 40 minutes or so and packed it up. No coins but a few relics including a manufacturer's plate for Hayes wheel out of Jackson, Mi...they made buggy wheels starting early 1900, later forming Kelsey-Hayes Co. Or, it was a plate off of the Jackson, an early steam-powered car built in Jackson Mi. starting about 1903. The plate was wadded into a square and I carefully unfolded it.
Was happy to get out because it's been a while. HH all, ffd

Attachments

• IMG_2443.JPG
    IMG_2443.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2447.JPG
    IMG_2447.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 106

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better get back and find the old coins too! Neat piece or history.

mjc_lakedweller

Nov 14, 2011
Kzoo County, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro,
Garrett ACE350,
Fisher CZ-20,
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the item on the left - is this a button or more of a coin/token piece? Get back there soon and show us a big score.

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate when you realize that your about to have a dead MD, Looks like it could be a good spot , I would be back as soon as I could. Nice find ,Good Luck and Good Hunting....

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The name plate is a Good Find, Congrats.
Happy Hunting
Kevin

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet finds.

Sadly, unless it is a VERY busy street in a downtown area, most people find little or nothing under torn out sidewalks.
You would THINK you would, but in practice, you rarely score big there.
The main reason is that people can SEE stuff when it is dropped on sidewalks and the next person to come along will see it and pick it up, whereas on grass, the coin will remain hidden when it is dropped.

If you do find stuff, it will be on the very sides. Coin sized objects will make it to the sides, and then gravity will cause them to work down the side of the slab.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Except in michigan every street is lined with silver coins

OP
OP
fistfulladirt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet finds.

Sadly, unless it is a VERY busy street in a downtown area, most people find little or nothing under torn out sidewalks.
You would THINK you would, but in practice, you rarely score big there.
The main reason is that people can SEE stuff when it is dropped on sidewalks and the next person to come along will see it and pick it up, whereas on grass, the coin will remain hidden when it is dropped.

If you do find stuff, it will be on the very sides. Coin sized objects will make it to the sides, and then gravity will cause them to work down the side of the slab.
You are right Diggit, I don't think this sidewalk was more than 30-40 y.o., as there was light-colored fill sand beneath. What I'm hoping for is the original walk, sometimes was a wooden boardwalk that small items could have fallen through the slats. The construction guy there said a detectorist followed them during another tearout right downtown and found a handfull of old coins/relics.

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
I found the exact item you find on the left in that pic. The one with the Bells on it.

I was told that it may have been on a doorknob or bedpost/curtains. I have no clue, but I'll post a picture when I get a chance.

DH24

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good finds D...too bad about the battery....has happened to me before too. Man do we need some rain....havent been out in a long long time

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool plate D! My Grandpa retired from that plant in Jackson!

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relics too bad about the battery dieing, I have a spare empty battery holder I keep in my truck in case buying batteries is the only option.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread