New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Street tear-out produces 1700's!

I've been looking at a street tear-out near me for about 2-months now and finally decided to hit it, and I'm glad I did. :thumbsup: I found my first coins from the 1700's. One has been identified with the help of DoninBrewster as being a George II "young head" version, made between 1729 and 1739. The believe this one is 1736, it's hard to see the date, but I believe that is what I see when I move it around.

The second coin is in worse shape, all I can make out is the back of a head shown in the pictures and the other side is a real mess. Both coins were found together.

The coins are in very poor condition, I wonder if I should try cleaning them with electrolysis or would that destroy them altogether?

Also found a large slug or bullet mushroomed, a rim fire casing, and a single ring bullet of some kind. The penny is just in the photo for size GeoII front.jpg GeoII back.jpg Unidentified front.jpg unidentified back.jpg 20140825_102416.jpg reference.

Last edited:
Upvote 12

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Free advice IMHO Don't worry about cleaning copper , time is crucial on these old road tearouts ,

,, Get back out there ,there are more coppers to be found for sure .

dawg ;)

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It amazes me to think what we walk over every day without realizing it. Good save!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice they just started some tear out in my town hope I can get in before it's covered

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
really nice coppers, and to think that you could have waited too long! congrats

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two very nice coins. You must be stoked to have found them.

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice saves, I think they look good as is. The ones I find tend to be in rougher shape than those.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really hate to give you this "bad" news on this my 2,500th post, I don't think your other coin is 1700's. The one with bust facing right. I am willing to bet it is William & Mary, which is a 1690's coin. Sorry.

AS far as electrolysis, I'd never use it on a coin after some experimentation. These already have some pitting, and believe me it's going to get a lot worse. Id just rub them a bit with your thumb, and leave as is. They are idable, that's not bad as a lot that old aren't.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really hate to give you this "bad" news on this my 2,500th post, I don't think your other coin is 1700's. The one with bust facing right. I am willing to bet it is William & Mary, which is a 1690's coin. Sorry.

AS far as electrolysis, I'd never use it on a coin after some experimentation. These already have some pitting, and believe me it's going to get a lot worse. Id just rub them a bit with your thumb, and leave as is. They are idable, that's not bad as a lot that old aren't.

With the bust set that far left I agree, quite likely William & Mary. Only year is 1694... so just try and confirm you see the 2nd bust and you have the date.

OP
OP
Diggin Dude

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh my I can't believe it 1600'S?

Wish I could see more on the coin but I will leave it the way it is thank you for your help

OP
OP
Diggin Dude

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the bust set that far left I agree, quite likely William & Mary. Only year is 1694... so just try and confirm you see the 2nd bust and you have the date.

Thank you so much I'll check out the coin online

I'm heading back to look for more wish me luck

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am quite certain I can see the "nose" of the right bust. Other wise I wouldn't have stuck my nose out.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow..way to go..jumpin on the street tear out..I recently just REALLY, royally screwed up, by not being aggressive enough to check a local tear-out we had, it was the MAIN thoroughfare, directly through downtown..and I live in Lancaster, Ohio, birthplace and home of Gen. William T. Sherman..and the road they pulled up went DIRECTLY past the Sherman house. They took it up, all the way to the dirt, dirt that hadn't seen light of day for over a hundred years. We DID wander down there, sneak under the orange fencing and "looted" about 125 of the old paving bricks that were piled up. Of course, I keep my ATP with me, and WHY i did not grab it and check...is beyond me. The worst they could have done is tell me to leave. I had posted about this 4-5 months ago..and TOMinCA thoroughly, and deservedly, roasted me for not doing so..asking if I were waiting for them to roll out the red carpet..and I am still kicking myself..some very good history there..gone for another hundred plus years. So Diggin Dude..kudos for checking the tear out..great job!! ddf

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs and thanks for the pictures

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote tear ALL sidewalks out and updated. And make it a union job.

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm, road tear-outs and sidewalk tear-outs... never really crossed my mind and they are tearing out sidewalk spots that butt up to corners right now....:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions