Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sneaked in a 3 hour hunt after work yesterday. I hit a park that has given up some Indian Head Pennies in the past. I'm using the CTX and I'm finding that it is giving up some different signals. (If not strange).
Normally I believe an Indian Head Penny will give you a signal that can range from 12-31 to 12-38. A wheat Penny will come in from 12-40 to
12-44. In this park the Indians will be at around 7 inches. Well, I dug 7 Wheat Pennies at 7 inches.
Yesterday I dug 7 separate wheat pennies that came in at 7 inches with target I.D. numbers in the 30's. Quite unusual. One penny is a 1920 and looks as if someone tried to stretch it's value. lol
IMG_3586.JPG IMG_3587.JPG

Upvote 6

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a successful hunt. Maybe the VDI change is due to ground balance and/or soil moisture. I had a number of wheats recently ring up near 90 VDI. Would have thought it was silver.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quite a haul , took some serious effort ... digging NYC must be a trip to another World , that city is krazy :censored:

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right about soil moisture, we have gotten a good deal of rain. I'm enjoying the CTX. It has given up a few pleasant surprises. Anything deep, (7 inches or more), gets dug.

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The VDI is dependent on the degree of metal corrosion, soil conditions, proximity to other objects, depth, and goodness knows what. I have found that really green Wheats ring up much lower than "expected". That's why, with all detectors, the sound is the most important feature; VDI is a merely a data point in the decision to dig.

aj

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread