Striking Contrast

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I know most here have seen this, but I just had to show off this nicely patinated Knife River Flint Dovetail Piece on a black background.

It is one of my best pieces.

DSCN3794.JPG

Upvote 0

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for re-posting, the original post must have been before my time on Tnet. I love the patina on that point, and the extremely deep and narrow notching. It amazes me how they got the notches so deep while also keeping them narrow. Are the notches also ground or smoothed to their full depth to keep the binding or lashing from being cut? (By the way, what is the correct terminology for the sinews/strings that points were hafted with?) How does everyone suppose smoothing/grinding was accomplished in deep notches such as these, I can't imagine it was done with a coarse abraiding stone?
Awesome dovetail, was it a personal find? HH

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
That is an amazing artifact. Is it a personal find?

Yes, it is an amazing piece, specially because of the far west location it was found. I found it in a small frame of 9 points at a nearby farm sale/auction. I got to talk to the farmer who found it, and the neighbor who had been drooling over,(and wanting) it for a couple decades. Good thing his wife gave him a strict (and low) dollar limit on what he could bid on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread