String and sons question

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
brown and white are usually supplied by brinks

string and sons yellow/white are just a paper manufacturer nowdays. They are usually used by garda / loomis in most areas.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It differs, and doesn't matter. My Loomis rolls are brown and white. My Brinks rolls are yellow and white.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
In five years, my String boxes of halves have all been crappy.
The few Brinks boxes have been great. I believe there were two.

OP
OP
drcaulfield

drcaulfield

Feb 22, 2013
your reject tray
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found doesn't matter what denomination I search. The ones in string and sons wrappers seem worse to me. I did roughly 6 boxes of halves this week and got 1 40%. The only positive was that many of the rolls had 21 coins so I did get the silver for free and a few other bonus halves. I guess I'll take the profit however I can

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you think about it you have more potential to find silver in Strings and Sons wrappers. Why? Because more coin providers use them: Loomis, Garda, and Dunbar. Brinks is the only one that uses it's own wrappers.

I thought about explaining all of the factors involved to help explain how to determine which is the best to order from in your area, but it was getting quite long.

In simple terms, it's like gem / gold / silver mining, well drilling, etc. You have to drill test holes, and systematically determine which area will be best for you. The big difference with our hobby is that our resource we're looking for is constantly getting replenished. And it's like metal detecting jewelry on a beach - some beaches get more visits by more rich tourists. Some geographical areas of the US or Canada will have more older silver coin.

Another major factor is how many searchers there are searching the same supply, and/or dumping into the supply you are searching. If the majority are dumping into the supply you are searching a more diluted supply.

Personally Garda serviced banks are the only ones in my area that will order halves for me. And I've had some great finds since I started a few months ago. No Brinks serviced banks or Credit Unions will order halves for me.

You just have to order boxes for at least a month before you could start to determine if a source is good. And higher volumes of searching will give you better data to analyze.

OP
OP
drcaulfield

drcaulfield

Feb 22, 2013
your reject tray
Primary Interest:
Other
I just thought it was odd that every other denomination I received from my bank ie nickels and dimes was brinks but the halves aren't.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunbar is the absolute worst in my area.. Bleh...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread