Strip Searches

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
strip.jpg

No, not THAT kind of strip search!

Did you know that in most communities, it is perfectly legal for you to hunt those grassy strips in front of homes between the sidewalk and the street?

This is because those strips are owned by the city, not the homeowner.

But does this mean you should feel free to hunt those strips without permission? Not on your life!

This show explains it all.

Listen at http://thetreasurecorner.com.

---Dan Hughes, http://danhughes.net

doglover

Aug 30, 2011
I know I've been by a lot of places I would have loved to hunt but you've always got to consider the public perception of anyplace you hunt. I never hunt around graveyards, parks that have well manicured lawns, or school yards with locked fences around them. I know one good place some of you might consider and that is bus stops that have shade trees nearby. If I were waiting on a bus, thats where I would stand. I imagine theres been a few coins and goodies dropped by folks waiting to catch the bus.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info Dan :thumbsup:

Several times when I've asked a homeowner permission to hunt their ROW strip, they've invited me to hunt their yard as well.
(I guess this would be considered getting YOUR foot in the door instead of THERE'S up your behind :D )

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
We have been hunting these parking strips between the side walk and the street since 1985.

We have had few problems doing this as the city owns this strip of ground, but on occasion we have had people ask us to not dig there so we simply move on. We have also had people call the police, but the officer would explain to them the land is city owned and there is no ordinance against us hunting. In many cases the police officer would ask us to move on to appease the home owner and we would.

Generally it is a great place to hunt and over the years we have found thousands of old coins and pieces of jewelry. On many occasions we have been invited to hunt peoples lawns that came out to watch us. As long as the lawn wasn't to well manicured and we had been having plenty of rain we would do so, again another source of good hunting. Rick :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread