stripping copper wire

haz

Greenie
Jul 1, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, GTP 1350
Does your scrap yard take insulated wire? That would be the easy way to sell it, problem is they don't pay much for it. Silver colored wire is still probably copper wire, it's coated in aluminum I think, but if you cut it or rub it on cement it will look like copper on the end. Burning it is a quick way to strip it, but it's toxic smoke and could get you in trouble, but stripping it by hand is slow going.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, see if they buy insulated wire. The recycle yard I sell to does, so I save all my insulated wire that is not worth stripping and sell it separate. You do not get near the price you do for stripped copper, but it pays much better than the tin price you would get for leaving them on the appliances.

OP
OP
P

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've decided that I'm not going to strip the wire unless its solid core. with the wire from inside of a computer do you need to cut the connectors off? is the flat wide wire that connects the drives, is that worth collecting.

OP
OP
P

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i talked to the place where i plan on taking my wire and other stuff. they told me stranded core wire dint bother stripping, and if i cut the connectors off they pay a higher price for it. as for the boards i cut the fingers off and the mother boards they will take but dint pay for them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread