Struck through die cap... Grease... Or just nothing

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Experts chime in please. Found tonight in a box of halves. It was a good box with 2 bens and 3 40%ers.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 0

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hard to tell by the image but it looks like the wear goes all the way to the edge of the coin. My non-expert opinion would be PMD; but, like PEA said I would wait for someone like Enamel or Huntsman to chime in.

-TwoYewts

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wear seems mostly in one direction, almost like it was sanded? I feel that if it was grease in the die it would be a smoother surface, and with the high points of the die still making a significant strike. The letters which are lower than other features are struck fine. I would say PMD but I am no expert.

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell by the image but it looks like the wear goes all the way to the edge of the coin. My non-expert opinion would be PMD; but, like PEA said I would wait for someone like Enamel or Huntsman to chime in.

-TwoYewts

Thanks for the feedback. The wear does go all the way to the edge of the coin. But less significant to where you can see detail in the date and letters.

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wear seems mostly in one direction, almost like it was sanded? I feel that if it was grease in the die it would be a smoother surface, and with the high points of the die still making a significant strike. The letters which are lower than other features are struck fine. I would say PMD but I am no expert.

The surface is almost completely smooth, but I get your point on more details at the high points. I don't believe sanding is the cause of the wear. There is no noticeable wear or damage to the edge of the coin... It would seem like there would be some sort of wear to the outer rim if worn purposely....

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send a pic to Mike Diamond. I personally believe that's a struck through die cap.

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send a pic to Mike Diamond. I personally believe that's a struck through die cap.

Thanks enamel, email sent. That's what I'm leaning towards as well

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I could be wrong but I believe it is a man made error and not a Capped Die Strike! It appears that the Obverse has been intentionally worked down on the high spots and easier spots to get to but the portions of the letters adjacent to the rim, appear to be almost untouched. If a Capped Die Strike, then all of the details (images) and lettering would be smashed and near or totally obliterated.

Frank

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After further review, the tie goes to Huntsman! Mr. Diamond felt that the coin was mechanically altered. Oh well, I thought it had a good chance and will take it to my LCS and see what they say as well.

Thanks everyone for your input

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
After further review, the tie goes to Huntsman! Mr. Diamond felt that the coin was mechanically altered. Oh well, I thought it had a good chance and will take it to my LCS and see what they say as well.

Thanks everyone for your input

Thanks for letting us know Mike's thoughts on the coin!

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread