Stubborn 17th-19th Century Site offers up lots coppers & buttons but no silver yet.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stubborn 17th-19th Century Site offers up lots coppers & buttons but no silver yet.

I made my latest trip this past Monday to a new site that has produced 17 coppers so far. I've made about six trips in total this spring, recovering lots of buttons and coppers, but no silver coins. I'm hoping for a silver coin or two, as the site has lots of potential with a history relating to key events in King Philip's War. I'm told that the field has never been searched prior to my arrival. Here are some photos -

P4090064.JPG
This group shot needs to be updated as the pile is getting a bit bigger.

P4090046.JPG
King William & King George I coppers. Most coins are heavily corroded and barely identifiable.

P4090054.JPG
This is a cool button made from a King William copper.

P4090056.JPG
Back of the King William copper still has a complete shank.

P4090052.JPG
Nipple-type leather mount and dress button. They should date from the 17th Century.

P4090067.JPG
Georgian-period lion's paw footing for a sewing box, jewelry box, etc.

P4090063.JPG
brass dividers - damaged - fodder for the plows

P4220083.JPG
Artillery button (1814-1821 perhaps) still soaking in mineral oil

P4220078.JPG
Early 19th Century Navy button

P4240010.JPG
Does anybody have information on this mystery button?

P4240011.JPG
backside of mystery button

P4240013.JPG
My buddy has identified this as a button for the Diplomatic Corp - early 19th Century. I'm told it's listed as an OD-6C in the Alberts book. Unfortunately, it's missing the shank.

P4240021.JPG
backside of the Diplomatic Corp button

P4240022.JPG
Should I try to clean the button further. I've read about using aluminum jelly for cleaning buttons. It appears that gilt remains under the green patina.

Well, that's all for now. Good Hunting to All.

Upvote 8

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i wouldnt clean it anymore

GREAT FINDS BTW

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
amazing pile of finds ya got there, im working a site very similar to yours, its a small cornfield that had some type of structure on it in the 1800s, and ive pulled 9 large cents out of there, a couple fatty Indian heads, and a 2 center, and about 30 buttons my NEWEST coin is the 2 center (1864) I worked the debris field area hard back and forth, up and down, side to side and didnt snatch a single silver. Im waiting for them to plow it so i can get back there and clean it up some more, Good luck at your site, im sure u have a silver or two just waiting to be rescued

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's a great site for producing coppers and buttons many really good looking items already, hope your luck changes on the silver.:icon_thumright:

Nutriasub

Nov 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Garret Pro Pointer
Great hunt, and it's going to produce silver for sure!!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. That's definitely an old site you have there. Don't see the William halfpennies and George I's turning up too often. Great finds.:thumbsup: Get back there and hunt that site again.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at the pics I would not clean that button because in many cases once the green is gone the surface is black, so you'd be trading nice patina for stripped surface. When it's more corrosion and ugly it's worth cleaning, but not when it's as nice as it is. Any higher end collector would tell you to leave it alone, and I'm talking about the ones who have no problem with cleaning when it's the right thing to do.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't look stubborn to me. Those are some great finds even if there is no silver. Congrats!

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats and don't try to clean them any further as they look great now! Good that you're saving them from being destroyed by the plow/acid rain/fertilizer/ect. Would love to find a nice untouched site like yours,suggest checking around nearby "landmarks" big rocks/trees for a nice silver cache. HH in the new season!

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly. The typical dug silver coin is not anywhere near as good as many of those finds.

Iron Patch - Yes, the site is producing some nice early finds, so I should not focus so much on getting early silver. It's just the anticipation! I'm the first to search this site, and there's lots of history connected to the early house than once stood there. It appears that the land was settled by a community leader who became an Admiralty Judge under King William in the late 1600's, which might explain the coin/button. It was perhaps worn as a symbol of his office. Thanks for the advice on cleaning the buttons and the fast ID on that Royal Navy button.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not saying you shouldn't want silver, though. lol None of us mind digging silver anything, but these finds are just as good in my book.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch - Yes, the site is producing some nice early finds, so I should not focus so much on getting early silver. It's just the anticipation! I'm the first to search this site, and there's lots of history connected to the early house than once stood there. It appears that the land was settled by a community leader who became an Admiralty Judge under King William in the late 1600's, which might explain the coin/button. It was perhaps worn as a symbol of his office. Thanks for the advice on cleaning the buttons and the fast ID on that Royal Navy button.

Even when it gets thin it could still be there. We once hunted a spot that gave up at least 150 large coppers and only one early silver, and I kid you not it was the last coin!

I do like that William button, and can't really dismiss your thoughts on it because I have never seen another. It's 20 times the find being a button.

Last edited:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some awesome finds! NICE AVATAR! What state was that found in?

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some awesome finds! NICE AVATAR! What state was that found in?

It was found in RI. If you want to see some other photos and my experience getting it slabbed (a mistake), check out one of my replies to Oxbowbarefoot's thread on his Oak Tree Shilling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread