Stubborn / "wirey" rocks that sit in the bottom of the pan with black sand...

RSMITH

Greenie
Jul 22, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Stubborn / "wirey" rocks that sit in the bottom of the pan with black sand...

Hey Everyone,

I am a beginner in the art of panning and treasure hunting so please excuse my naivety and/or ridiculous questions.. But everyone has to start somewhere right? :)

I have been out panning only a few times so far and have not made any significant precious metal discoveries. I have definitely found decent amounts of flour gold but I am still aspiring for that first nugget... Even if it's the size of a BB, I can't wait.

My question is about the few items that remain in the pan once your concentrate has been reduced to nothing but black sands. I have been saving a lot of these little rocks and pebbles in a jar, not knowing if it is worth it or not. The reason I have been saving a lot of them, is because when viewed under 10-15x magnification (some even to the naked eye), I can see distinct wires in a lot of these specimens. I have seen silvery wires, gold wires, copper hued wires etc... The problem that my novice attempts have been running into, is that these wires are obviously very small. I have tried to figure out a way to do a test of the malleability of these object without success. This is because the wires are too small to break off and hit with a hammer, and when I smash the whole specimen, there are usually very tiny shards amongst the powder from the host mineral (usually now waaay too small to try any sort of tests with).

I live in Colorado and my first few attempts at panning have been in Breckenridge. I usually try to collect bits and pieces of concentrate from strategic locations, i.e. crevices, behind large rocks (as far down as I can dig) in the river, dirt and cobble from banks that have eroded during high water, gravel bars, etc... and I know that the rocky mountains have been known to produce "wirey" precious metal formations (hence why I have hung on to these pan loiterers)

So my question is, is it worth saving these rocks and possibly giving them to a local surveyor? Is it more worth my efforts to crush all of these and pan them? Or should I just hurl them out of my pan in frustration once I don't see any decent pieces of precious metal? :)

Thanks for any/all advice. Happy Hunting

Upvote 0

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep everything for the first 2 seasons. That way, no regrets later

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with fullpan. then take some samples to the colorado school of mines geology department. Someone there should be able to identify them for you. Also welcome to the forum.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Keep everything for the first 2 seasons. That way, no regrets later

Hell :laughing7::laughing7: ....... Fullpan is right . Just stash it all if needs be . I have piles of stuff
from dump truck big to wheel barrel small sorted and stored on my place ( 120 acres ) .
Once you get it on your land you got options .

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are panning about 10 miles downstream from some of the most famous wire gold deposits form the gold rush days so...could be!

I strongly agree about saving all your heavies for the first couple years so you can do more with them when you are ore skilled, etc.

One caution for you-Breckenridge and Summit Co officially barred prospecting from the lands they own themselves so be sure you know who owns the land you prospect or you may get fined. On the other hand, I have a place in Silverthorne so if you are sure you're legal where you are, or need help checking, or want me to show you the ropes a bit, Send me a private message and we'll find a time to meet up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread