Stuck for Where to or how to ID - seems out of place

Traveller69

Jan 17, 2021
PA
Detector(s) used
Garnett AXpro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I recently had my backyard torn up and regraded in Allentown PA - they went 30” down in some spots. It used to be a old wooded area 60 years ago and just moss and grab grass since. Anyway the soil here is dense red PA clay - 12-14 inch thick red soil everywhere and I’m told shale below that. I was wondering thru the turnings checking some new setting on my detector and found a few odd stones? Seemed out of place. Initially thought they might be slag or other junk. Magnet does not stick at all..no idea? - thought obsidian but didn’t think that would be in PA red clay. Thought it might be melted glass? But too heavy and not chipped. Parts of it looked like it was hit repeatedly with a ball pin hammer but it’s all smooth pockets like a golf ball. There is “rust” streaks on the opposite side of the shiny breaks (pictured) they feel heavy...they almost have a purpleish hue but no light will shine thru even on the thin edges

Noteworthy - the landscape contractor was shocked, and happy he found almost zero big rocks anywhere across a 100x100ft area he tore up...just red earth and clay layer. The stuff I’m finding is between .5 and 2.5 inches in size. All these pieces came from 1 ft pocked of turned soil. Not seeing it everywhere, but should I pick through more or just call it odd trash and get back to dialing in my detector ughh.

Attachments

• DD1F43A4-4B9D-422D-A578-F489B81A65AC.jpeg
    DD1F43A4-4B9D-422D-A578-F489B81A65AC.jpeg
    876.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 5E60C670-1BCD-4BFA-B2DB-0E53E30A8500.jpeg
    5E60C670-1BCD-4BFA-B2DB-0E53E30A8500.jpeg
    898 KB · Views: 67
  • 0A55F040-8073-4DC4-A8AB-100E444E820D.jpeg
    0A55F040-8073-4DC4-A8AB-100E444E820D.jpeg
    868.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 3501D3AD-93E1-4B35-87FA-F49ADEC97423.jpeg
    3501D3AD-93E1-4B35-87FA-F49ADEC97423.jpeg
    753.3 KB · Views: 65

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The black part looks like it is burned. The rest looks like a mineral mix
I would love to see your area. I hail from the Lukens and Barnes lines in the area.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be black slag glass?

Upvote 0

blauer

Jun 17, 2014
Pennsylbama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II.
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently had my backyard torn up and regraded in Allentown PA - they went 30” down in some spots. It used to be a old wooded area 60 years ago and just moss and grab grass since. Anyway the soil here is dense red PA clay - 12-14 inch thick red soil everywhere and I’m told shale below that. I was wondering thru the turnings checking some new setting on my detector and found a few odd stones? Seemed out of place. Initially thought they might be slag or other junk. Magnet does not stick at all..no idea? - thought obsidian but didn’t think that would be in PA red clay. Thought it might be melted glass? But too heavy and not chipped. Parts of it looked like it was hit repeatedly with a ball pin hammer but it’s all smooth pockets like a golf ball. There is “rust” streaks on the opposite side of the shiny breaks (pictured) they feel heavy...they almost have a purpleish hue but no light will shine thru even on the thin edges

Noteworthy - the landscape contractor was shocked, and happy he found almost zero big rocks anywhere across a 100x100ft area he tore up...just red earth and clay layer. The stuff I’m finding is between .5 and 2.5 inches in size. All these pieces came from 1 ft pocked of turned soil. Not seeing it everywhere, but should I pick through more or just call it odd trash and get back to dialing in my detector ughh.

No obsidian in PA. Looks like slag to me, I've seen a lot it here.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Traveller69

Jan 17, 2021
PA
Detector(s) used
Garnett AXpro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I thought the same - coal - burned, the glass slag also considered. I tried to scratch white stoneware and it leaves no mark. It also does not “chip” like I would expect from glass. It’s too hard and thick. I’m going to try to open it up more and photograph magnifying. This is why I’m stuck. Part of what’s visible seems to no go completely thru the surrounding substrate? If that’s the right description. I go to Herkimer NY yearly and a rock hound for diamonds lol. - I only have some knowledge of “dole stone” (spelling off) and some quartzite type stuff. I’m going out today to see if I can find anymore or get some photos of the stuff in where I found with surroundings. Any possibility could it be something that got hit by lightening? That we get a lot of. Thanks for any feedbacks

Upvote 0

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
you mentioned a lot of lightening, maybe the rock stuff is, rock fulgurites

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread