Stumbled agross my first Bottle Dump!

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting a grassy field close to the river and the tall grass was giving me fits and I had the suspicion I was in fill dirt anyway. Decided to give up and head back to the truck and noticed a glass bottle over in the unmowed section by the river bank. I picked up the bottle and noticed lots of broken glass the kind that has early painting on it and the thicker clay pottery and blue glass. The spot was very close to the river so I found a relatively safe spot and managed to dig out a few bottles. A couple have Duraglas embossed on them so that dates to 1940's and the small one says Chesebrough New York #15 on the bottom (possible vaseline jar). There was a large intact bottle (looked like a wiskey bottle without threads that I was unable to recover will have to come back with a small saw to cut some roots to get that one. Should of took a picture hard to believe roots the size of my wrist can grow around bottles like that and not break them.

This is not my area of expertise but it was fun if not for fear of falling in the river. Suppose to rain here the next few days and the river will likely rise several feet, so I may have to wait awhile to return. The half broken plate says Germany on the back and looks to have a mother of pearl inlay around the outer edge. The brown bottle I found two of and suspect it may be more modern but again really a novice on these things. Sadly most of the exposed glass is broken I'm hoping to dig out older goodies. IMG_20210502_162932.jpg

Upvote 18

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done on digging out the glass.
Deeper you go the older it gets is generally the case.
Best of luck on the return dig.

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love old bottles!!! Congrats!!

OP
OP
E

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20210505_184733.jpg IMG_20210506_070033 (2).jpg

Managed to recover this gem last night. This time armed with a small hand saw I was able to remove the roots and it cleaned up very nice! 48 date on the bottom

I only had an hour but from a quick look around that was the last of the full bottles that were exposed. May have to hit the spot up in August when the river might drop a couple feet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread