Stumped AND disappointed!

Fourwayz

Jun 18, 2007
Out Biking
Detector(s) used
Still deciding IF I want to try again
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I currently have a VX3 that is about a year old with the 6X10, 4x6 and the 950 stock coil. Also in my arsenal is a Coinmaster, beach hunter ID, Fisher1266X and a Garrett 250 Ace. In my garden I have quarters buried at 6, 9 and 12 inches. The ONLY machine that will be repeatable at 12 inches is the Garrett 250 Ace. It was in the all metal mode after switching on from a cold start. I tried all of the coils with the VX3 and NEVER GOT A HIT...ONCE! The Coinmaster never saw the 9 inch. The Fisher saw the quarter, but not consistently. The Beach hunter never saw the 12 inch quarter as well. The VX3 was purchased new through my local dealer and I am calling him tomorrow. I did ask the question why it did not see it and was told to adjust the filter(s) and bump the receive and good luck! Maybe it needs a looking at at White's?

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much time have you spent learning what all the settings do and make changes? even though its easier than the V3i its still not the best detector to have if your going to just turn on and go even though you can with the preset programs. The deepest coil seems to be the D2 which has great depth and separates pretty good for a large coil, not to sure about the VX3 but does it have a gain adjustment? The best thing is to see if you have someone in your area with good knowledge of a V3i or VX3 to help you with settings and see what they can do with it, even some dealers don't know the detectors as good as they tell you they do.The VX3 should do way better on depth than the ace 250, also check the whites forum(not this site whites has there own) they have a section just for V3i/VX3 and should also have some custom programs there to try. Good luck and HH

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fourwayz

Fourwayz

Jun 18, 2007
Out Biking
Detector(s) used
Still deciding IF I want to try again
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the suggestions, I spent three hours reading and adjusting after asking the same on the White's site where I got the increase the receive and good luck prompt from the most knowledgeable person. After posting earlier, I DID get the VX3 to at least see the quarter...but not repeatedly. I understand there will be no ID OR vdi at this depth. Just something is there. This machine should light a cigarette on the coil that it is running so hot! There's no emi today, which helps. I used the 950 coil to see the target during testing. Until I get this figured out, I'm going back over the sites with the Garrett to see IF I missed anything on my last outing. I was running the modified programs from the White's web site with these results.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The D2 coil is a monster for the deep coins, I bought a detech ultimate 13" coil looking for more depth over the D2 and while it didn't get more depth its just as deep but going over area's that I went over with the D2 I was able to pull 4 more deep silvers at 10 to 12" deep that the D2 picked up but didn't give me a good enough signal to dig that I passed as trash but with the detech 13" coil it gave a better enough signal for me to dig them. Each different coil has its strength and the detech will cover more ground for big open area's plus pick up a little better on the coins sitting on edge. HH

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Filters man filters... I just got a V3i about a week ago. never had a White's machine.

After messing with the filters... I can hit deeper than my Etrac and AT Pro! I am amazed!

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep its all about tweaking the machine out for the conditions that you are in. RX gain to about 13 or 14 with tx boost on and the 5.0 or 7.5 band pass should see it. I can air test a silver quarter to 15 plus inches with those settings. I have the V3i.

FreeMindStuck

Jan 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Filters man filters... I just got a V3i about a week ago. never had a White's machine.

After messing with the filters... I can hit deeper than my Etrac and AT Pro! I am amazed!

I'm glad you're enjoying your v3i. I'm awfully fond of mine. Learn to read and understand the ground probe and filter selection along with rx, discrimination, frequency selection will become a science. I believe the v3i is the most customizable metal detector in the world.

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
also try going to single frequency 2.5 khz.... and sweep sllooooowww.

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have 3 detectors right now.... the V3i, the Etrac, and the AT Pro ..... without any tweaking.... and in the stock V3i programs, the stock Etrac programs, and the (max of 6) AT Pro programs... the AT Pro detected deeper in my coin garden and had 'lightning quick target seperation' to the point that you would almost want to throw the V3i and Etrac in the garbage or at least ask 'REALLY?!?!'.
I mean lightning quick... as putting 3 nails and 3 clad quarters in a 12" line and swinging fast over them. The AT Pro sounded off on each coin and nulled out eaach nail... lightning quick!. The Etrac and V3i missed a coin on a pass or hit them BUT missing on a following pass.

((I need to post the video))

BUT..... and here's the big BUT!....

After some 'adjustments' to the 'stock coin program' on the FE-CO scale on the Etrac and making a V3i 'park' program from stock with disc, filters, etc.... The top end machines not only SHINED... but it was VERY predictable to pick the garbage from the good stuff...

turn-on-and-go is nice... but if I can program my detector for an area... or what I want to do.... I'll take that any day!\\\\

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
viddy
berry the coins and the nails in the ground an try
air test don't mean a thing make sure the nails are rusty and bent at about 5 inches then try...

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
viddy
berry the coins and the nails in the ground an try
air test don't mean a thing make sure the nails are rusty and bent at about 5 inches then try...

Straw berry? Lolz

Mortamus

Jun 9, 2012
Southern Callie
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The V3i is an amazing machine that will find what ever you want to find!
Use the Whites forums and videos and info and you will understand.

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ACE 250 and 12" cannot be used in the same sentence. Now I'm not calling you a liar but,,,,, I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!!! My crappy 250 goes about 4-6" deep at the most. It is my backup machine but I was embarressed to use it cause of the color and noise. But 12" NO WAY!!!! Just saying.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
people miss the target on the side dig deep then the target falls in the hole and they thick it was that deep.... rubbish
I should know it happen to me a lot of times..... It just happens

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure about throwing the v3 out I have a atpro & I like its quick & if I get that itch to detect when its rains I can without a worry but nothing compares to the v3i which I have as well the amount of changes u can make to 1 detector is incredible if u want to see a coin at 12'' that machine with right filters & settings will I've done various hunts with both my Atpro & the v3i not in a test garden I wanted the real deal straight out in the woods & the v3i dead on to all items if it said a dime it was a quarter it was Atpro numbers was good but not this good

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread