🥇 BANNER Stunning Early Militia Artillery Belt Plate leaves me stunned! WOW!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
When you text a find to some of your best buddies and they all curse at you, that's when you know you have something really killer.

Well today was that day for me, and I'm so pleased with this find despite a new fan club being started called "FU Steve" (whatever that means) lol.

I've been having some luck at a site I'd all but written off. You see I've been staying away from the street - perhaps for reclusive reasons, or perhaps because I don't want other detectorists to spot me. Either way, lately, I've been chancing it and scoring lots of large cents and early buttons. Today I was hammering away and got a slamming hit on the Deus. The kind that make the Deus overload and sound like it's in stereo. I dig it despite being sure it was junk...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488332996.795949.jpg

I say a few expletives after figuring out what it was.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488333031.016703.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488333042.838859.jpg

After some good advice from a few experts, I clean it with nothing but a toothpick and a chip brush.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488333138.528331.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488333151.668432.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488333161.975096.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488333176.633704.jpg

Finished off with some renaissance wax and viola!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488333208.848936.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488333220.977871.jpg

A few friends with some incredible knowledge have confirmed it's a Ca. 1820 Militia Artillerist Belt Plate.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488333354.587879.jpg

Plate #4 in Crouch.

It was a true blessing to dig this plate, especially in the condition it's in. Enjoy and good hunts everyone.

Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 144
OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You poor, poor man - Your find is apparently ineligible for the banner due to forum rules regarding your beautiful Nova Constelatio that already crowds the banner. :sad7: You have my condolences. I feel your pain as you're now stuck with just a beautiful, ornate, perfectly preserved, intact, rare, unblemished, find it or die trying, 1820's belt plate. I feel your pain. If you want to talk about it, well... I'm here for you buddy. Send me a PM. We can just talk...at one of your awesome detecting sites... preferably where you found the plate. You can tell me all about exactly where you found the plate... I mean... sorrows. Tell me all about your sorrows, but tell me quickly to not cut in on detecting time.

Awesome Find. It's a killer find. I'm going out tomorrow to try my luck just because of your awesome find. Thanks for the motivation.

Ah yes, the indignity! My first-world problem of not being eligible for Banner is something no man should ever have to experience.

Aye, "To die, to sleep - To sleep, perchance to dream - ay, there's the rub, For in this sleep of death what dreams may come."

What does Hamlet have to do with this? Well, nothing...

But alas, we cannot control what we get our coil over, and when. So I guess I need to enjoy the things in life more important than banner...my friends cursing at me.

Lol. Thanks for the comments bud and good luck today.

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Buck. It was all lucky from condition to completeness. Honestly with my first look at it dug... View attachment 1421206

I thought it was going to be wasted. The edges looked all corroded and wasted away. The cleanup took forever, but was well worth it. Cheers

Next to finding , Cleaning is the hardest most nerve Racking Part of Our hobby. At-least for me.
Again Great Job.

s1222l

Apr 28, 2016
Central Mass
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" & 11" / Teknetics T2 Classic / Tesoro Vaquero / DetectorPro Pirate Pro
Garrett Propointer AT / Deteknix XPointer / Vance Muffs / Deteknix HD Muffs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats awesome!! Congrats!!!

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Legend, AT Pro, Garret Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous plate brother! Unbelievable condition! Gotta find me one of those...

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scrappy,

Look on the bright side you've managed 2 finds early in the year that most people will never get their coil over 1 let alone 2 in their detecting career.

Regards + HH

Bill

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am absolutely shocked by how nice that plate turned out. You my friend are on a serious roll right now. This is a BANNER relic no doubt. Congrats pal

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Scrappy,

That is an awesome find and one that is truly deserving of a Banner! I put my vote in and don't understand why that after 8 pages of post, that it is not up at the Top!!?? I hope it has nothing to do with all of the FU Steve comments!:icon_scratch::BangHead::tongue3:

Frank

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd crawl through the brambles for that FU in a heartbeat. Congratulations on your beautiful plate Scrappy it's a memory that will stick with you forever.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm gonna use my influence and give this the deciding Banner vote 8-)

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very impressed with the restraint you showed in cleaning the plate. Congrats on another superb relic find.

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wow. My banner vote is going in now! Congrats on a find of a lifetime!

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Xp deus, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You poor, poor man - Your find is apparently ineligible for the banner due to forum rules regarding your beautiful Nova Constelatio that already crowds the banner. :sad7: You have my condolences. I feel your pain as you're now stuck with just a beautiful, ornate, perfectly preserved, intact, rare, unblemished, find it or die trying, 1820's belt plate. I feel your pain. If you want to talk about it, well... I'm here for you buddy. Send me a PM. We can just talk...at one of your awesome detecting sites... preferably where you found the plate. You can tell me all about exactly where you found the plate... I mean... sorrows. Tell me all about your sorrows, but tell me quickly to not cut in on detecting time.

Awesome Find. It's a killer find. I'm going out tomorrow to try my luck just because of your awesome find. Thanks for the motivation.

These rules seem archaic. Idk I'm a noob, seems like a deserving find should be properly displayed regardless if one person got "lucky" twice in a short time. My 2 center.:icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Scrappy,

That is an awesome find and one that is truly deserving of a Banner! I put my vote in and don't understand why that after 8 pages of post, that it is not up at the Top!!?? I hope it has nothing to do with all of the FU Steve comments!:icon_scratch::BangHead::tongue3:

Frank

Banner vote in !

I'm gonna use my influence and give this the deciding Banner vote 8-)

Haha, thanks for the Banner votes guys. The fact that people enjoy the plate that much is great.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I am absolutely shocked by how nice that plate turned out. You my friend are on a serious roll right now. This is a BANNER relic no doubt. Congrats pal

Hey hey! There's my buddy and co-founder of the club. The plate is a little new for you to be voting on, isn't it? It's quite a roll and I'm glad I have good friends to share it with (and get cursed at from)

Thanks for the vote bud

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome find. Congratulations

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Banner vote - congratulations!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread