Stunning Maine Militia Button (1820-1840) and Brass Miniature Cannon

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time has been limited this spring with more work than we can handle. The commercial construction industry is booming to say the least. I worked Memorial Day and decided I was taking yesterday off. I paddled out to an island that has treated me well in the past. I only had a few hours due to some very inclement weather forecasted for the afternoon. There's a colonial cellar hole in the center of the island which was either occupied for much longer than I thought or it was abandoned then reoccupied later. This day gave me 2 bucket listers. The first being a Maine Militia button dating from 1820-1840. When I first dug it I was thinking it may be civilian. But it was heavily gilted and I could clearly see a back mark. Then I remembered the 5 point design of the early Maine Militia button. A little lemon juice and I was shocked at the condition. Blown away by this button. The other good find is one that I am over the moon with. I've always wanted to dig a miniature brass cannon. I've always thought these were awesome. I admittedly am not positive of the history of these and what they date to. Any info is appreciated. I have found everything from big dandy buttons to pewter spoon handles to mid 1800s finds. So this cannon could date any time in there.
Another interesting find is this giant brass spike. My guess is for ship building. I've never seen one close to this size. It's massive. I'm excited to get back to this site as it's got a massive concentration of iron. There's going to be a ton of good finds masked by the iron. I will be using my magnet to remove lots of nails then snagging the goods below.
The last and most important part of this post is a picture of some incredible iron that my very good buddy OutdoorAdv processed for me. Brad is not only incredibly talented with detecting, sifting and preservation....he is also an awesome and generous friend. Thank you buddy for processing these pieces.
The fork is a favorite of mine. It's the only one that I've found. Bone handle I believe. One of the other favorites is the iron grapeshot that I found on a Rev War site. There's also a mystery in there. I thought for sure it was some sort of hatchet or belt axe when I dug it. Now I'm thinking it's not. But I have no idea what it could be. Thanks for looking guys and I apologize that I've been too busy to Che k out all of your great finds. I'll try to do better. Hunting for a mid 1600s site tomorrow. Prob strike out but you never know.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496451703.807156.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496451724.882477.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496451756.578465.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496451787.265180.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496451814.395732.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496451838.444790.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496451866.274415.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496451927.560684.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496451978.925289.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496452006.820338.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496452028.515767.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496452054.609515.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496452077.370198.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496452099.255972.jpg

Upvote 51
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have found Treasure Island for sure mate. Those are some crazy cool finds with the gorgeous Militia button and toy cannon. That huge brass spike is cool as heck too. Lots of wonderful relics and a few banner worthy finds. You certainly made up for lost time.:icon_salut:

Thank you Kurios. Some of my best finds have come from islands. I love that big spike as well.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that be a month of diggum up for most :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

Ha thanks buddy. Some days are great and some are just a stress reliever in the dirt. Good luck out there

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does you brass Cannon have a touch hole? Like the typical working ones?
They first started making working toy examples in the 17th C, became popular in the 18th C. But didn't really stop making them until the early 20th C. However, most of the later ones were not working models.
Yours might be 18th C but its not consistent with most of the other known model types I have seen, including the published examples in my book.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does you brass Cannon have a touch hole? Like the typical working ones?
They first started making working toy examples in the 17th C, became popular in the 18th C. But didn't really stop making them until the early 20th C. However, most of the later ones were not working models.
Yours might be 18th C but its not consistent with most of the other known model types I have seen, including the published examples in my book.

Thanks Cru. Yes it has an actual touch hole. It also looks like it has something iron on the barrel as there's a hard piece of rust in there
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496480397.718129.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496480426.746750.jpg

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Cru. Yes it has an actual touch hole. It also looks like it has something iron on the barrel as there's a hard piece of rust in there
View attachment 1458116
View attachment 1458117
Now I'm more confused, never heard or seen one with the touch hole on the end instead of the top. Very strange. No idea how to date that, see the link I just put up, thats how most typical 18th C ones look.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I'm more confused, never heard or seen one with the touch hole on the end instead of the top. Very strange. No idea how to date that, see the link I just put up, thats how most typical 18th C ones look.

Hmmm just checked it out. It's tough because the finds date from late 1700s-mid 1800s. I guess I'll need to do a little research to nail this one down. I knew you had found a few and figured it may fall in line with one of those. Any good books on these?

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great recovery on the button and the awesome cannon. They are so cool and many different sizes, some being so small it makes me wonder how they actually worked. I still remember fondly the one I dug up almost 10 yrs ago, it's one of those special finds.
Looking at the piece of rust in the end of the barrel makes me wonder if somebody had shoved a projectile in and it got stuck, or it was a way of disabling the cannon from firing.
Either way you had a great hunt, and the site must hold more period treasures that await your arrival.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great recovery on the button and the awesome cannon. They are so cool and many different sizes, some being so small it makes me wonder how they actually worked. I still remember fondly the one I dug up almost 10 yrs ago, it's one of those special finds.
Looking at the piece of rust in the end of the barrel makes me wonder if somebody had shoved a projectile in and it got stuck, or it was a way of disabling the cannon from firing.
Either way you had a great hunt, and the site must hold more period treasures that await your arrival.

Thanks Pep. Love to see your cannon. I was thinking the same thing about the iron in the barrel.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome Relic hunt, as always! :notworthy: :notworthy:

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Abe, nice to see you again! What a fine hunt you had. Congrats on all of these awesome items. -Lisa & John

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool design on that Maine button.
Congrats

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gods were smiling on you. Can't believe how nice that button came out. Good luck with your 1600's hunt. Think positive

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job 'Ahab8'
The button is 'SUPER SWEET'. It cleaned up amazingly well.

Cannon? COOL ! I don't know much about these but an early ? I had was "Did they actually Fire" Well Got my answer.

Yr other button is nice also, & ECH Did Great work on yr Iron pieces . :icon_thumleft:

I look forward to future Finds of yours & for Work 'Construction' Take it while you can get it.

You know how it was in 08 -2013. They are building a-lot down here also.
Peace
Davers

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Pep. Love to see your cannon. I was thinking the same thing about the iron in the barrel.

fullsizeoutput_ca.jpeg
Mine is smaller than yours, 1 1/2" long. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread