STUPID BLM law!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a little bit as told to me by my brother, TimC. A friend of his (let's call him John) wanted to fill some large holes on a claim adjacent to his, John's claim. Tim told him he could not mess with another's claim. "John" called the BLM anyway. The ranger told John he could not mess with the other claim. The ranger decided it was a danger so the BLM put yellow "caution" tape around the holes. John said he was going to bust up a cement slab on his (John's) claim. The ranger said no he could not until the archeologists could look at it because it was over 50 years old. And here is the REAL kicker! John said he was going to move a large tree limb that had washed onto his claim. The ranger said he could not because it might be animal habitat, yet he was also told that if he was camping on BLM, he could burn that SAME LIMB, in his campfire! Go figure! TTC

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Like many and myself have said... On here..... Every thing is fine until you contact some one in the government for info...... then you get your self all screwed up.......... It is like asking some government employee if you can hunt in there park................. And you could before you asked .......... But now you asked they ban detecting in that park....... We all have to learn to have as little to do with the government as we can.......... for the most part they are all a little crazy................And like the power they can put out............. That would be power crazy.........

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Damn, that sounds like drama. Tell your friend good luck with it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Here is a little bit as told to me by my brother, TimC. A friend of his (let's call him John) wanted to fill some large holes on a claim adjacent to his, John's claim. Tim told him he could not mess with another's claim. "John" called the BLM anyway. The ranger told John he could not mess with the other claim. The ranger decided it was a danger so the BLM put yellow "caution" tape around the holes. John said he was going to bust up a cement slab on his (John's) claim. The ranger said no he could not until the archeologists could look at it because it was over 50 years old. And here is the REAL kicker! John said he was going to move a large tree limb that had washed onto his claim. The ranger said he could not because it might be animal habitat, yet he was also told that if he was camping on BLM, he could burn that SAME LIMB, in his campfire! Go figure! TTC

It's just as keppy says: looking at your post, each "edict" handed out. They are both prefaced by:

"John" called the BLM anyway. The ranger told...."

"John said he was going to move"....."

In each case, you can see that it was prefaced by a "John" contacting come government offical with a "pressing question". And as you can see, it was a non-issue prior to that. Moral of the story?

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Typical government official response, their on interpretation of the law...

Love your signature line TerryC...:icon_thumright:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't tell him that gold is older than 50 years!

..and go camping! I'll be over with the venison.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't ask, don't tell.

homestead-hunter

Jan 18, 2013
Roswell, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
BH Elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BLM land belongs to THE PEOPLE, NOT THE BLM, they MANAGE it, Thats like an apartment manager saying she owns your property when YOU HIRED her and PAID her only to manage it. They are slowly taking everything. Screw big government.

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
BLM land belongs to THE PEOPLE, NOT THE BLM, the MANAGE it, Thats like an apartment manager saying she own your property when YOU HIRED her and PAID her only to manage it. They are slowly taking everything. Screw big government.

Well said!

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Brace yourself, you're about to laugh REALLY hard at this one. Point Bar, Colorado. BLM Ranger drives up to my camp and tells me i can't tie ANYTHING to the trees. No tent canopy cords, laundry lines, or hammock line. He even told me it was illegal to hang an oil lantern from a tree limb. "DON'T TOUCH THE TREES" ! Reminds me of that t.v. commercial. This is your brain, and this is your "BRAIN on DRUGS". What does he think he's SAVIN' EM for ?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Brace yourself, you're about to laugh REALLY hard at this one. Point Bar, Colorado. BLM Ranger drives up to my camp and tells me i can't tie ANYTHING to the trees. No tent canopy cords, laundry lines, or hammock line. He even told me it was illegal to hang an oil lantern from a tree limb. "DON'T TOUCH THE TREES" ! Reminds me of that t.v. commercial. This is your brain, and this is your "BRAIN on DRUGS". What does he think he's SAVIN' EM for ?

Just shows the ignorance of the left. A line for a tent or laundry line will not hurt a tree. Winching on a tree without a tree saver will. Common sense is out the window with personal responsability...

homestead-hunter

Jan 18, 2013
Roswell, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
BH Elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just shows the ignorance of the left. A line for a tent or laundry line will not hurt a tree. Winching on a tree without a tree saver will. Common sense is out the window with personal responsability...

They said "dont touch the trees" here too, even on your property you cant thin them out. They had a huge fire last year, so much fuel from "not touching the trees" they couldnt put it out. close to 200 very expensive mountain cabins were lost.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
California liberals..... Save the trees! Use plastic. Now..... Save the landfills, use paper! Seems like it's gone full circle. What's next? TTC

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
California liberals..... Save the trees! Use plastic. Now..... Save the landfills, use paper! Seems like it's gone full circle. What's next? TTC

Use spotted owl for toilet paper maybe??? LOL!!

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
It's not lefties or righties it's the nature of the bureaucrat that is the problem. There's no point in blaming the lefties as valid threats come from both sides. Remember when Dubya thought drilling next to Arches NP was a good idea. Imagine the view from Delicate Arch. A sea of drilling rigs. To him rigs look like money. Like the smell in Globe AZ. One side wants to preserve to a fault and the other wants to exploit and proclaim No Trespassing to a fault. In the end nether side will let us do squat.
We have a guy north of here that wanted to clean up a dry arroyo that runs through his property. He received a letter from the Corps of Engineers ordering him to stop as the "Dry" arroyo might contain "Water of the United States." He hired an organization all the way in San Fransisco to represent his case. He won but what a pain.
There is a breed of Super Parents that seek jobs that allow them to do what they like best. To say NO!

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not lefties or righties it's the nature of the bureaucrat that is the problem. There's no point in blaming the lefties as valid threats come from both sides. Remember when Dubya thought drilling next to Arches NP was a good idea. Imagine the view from Delicate Arch. A sea of drilling rigs. To him rigs look like money. Like the smell in Globe AZ. One side wants to preserve to a fault and the other wants to exploit and proclaim No Trespassing to a fault. In the end nether side will let us do squat.
We have a guy north of here that wanted to clean up a dry arroyo that runs through his property. He received a letter from the Corps of Engineers ordering him to stop as the "Dry" arroyo might contain "Water of the United States." He hired an organization all the way in San Fransisco to represent his case. He won but what a pain.
There is a breed of Super Parents that seek jobs that allow them to do what they like best. To say NO!
Point well taken. Tnx. TTC

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think all the old hippies moved to Colorado.

Rocky Mountain High...Colorado

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread