DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very sweet find,that is a half hour that would have put a big ol smile on my face.WTG.The hole just adds to the history imo.But don't tell a dealer or hardcore collector that,lol

maceman66

Mar 29, 2009
SE Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The holes were put in the coins so they could be wore on a string because most clothes of that period were handmade and the pockets were a lot of extra work.

OP
OP
tomsneck

tomsneck

Feb 15, 2007
marthas vineyard
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt
The merc

Here is the merc. 1944

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    614.5 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    578 KB · Views: 126

johnt_ms

Feb 20, 2015
Monroe La
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was told some would wear silver coins around their ankles to keep the haints (spooks) away.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought the coins undamaged are worth more now, but when the holes were put in them they were only worth face value.
Same as putting a hole in a clad dime today. I ruined some beautiful half dollars in the '50's making rings.
Marvin

OP
OP
tomsneck

tomsneck

Feb 15, 2007
marthas vineyard
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt
Thought the coins undamaged are worth more now, but when the holes were put in them they were only worth face value.
Same as putting a hole in a clad dime today. I ruined some beautiful half dollars in the '50's making rings.
Marvin
so you'll pay me three cents? Lol. Did u used to tap the rings out? I've made a few that way but never had the chance w silver

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The holes were put in the coins so they could be wore on a string because most clothes of that period were handmade and the pockets were a lot of extra work.
That is very interesting. I have never heard that before,"learn something new everyday"I always just took it that someone liked the design of the coin and made a necklace out of it.That makes allot of since maceman

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is very interesting. I have never heard that before,"learn something new everyday"I always just took it that someone liked the design of the coin and made a necklace out of it.That makes allot of since maceman

Sorry, old wives tale. Coins were holed to wear as jewelry. Putting a hole in a coin even decreased it's value at the time of the defacing.

maceman66

Mar 29, 2009
SE Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets ask some "old wives" about those holed coins? People back then didn't wear coins for decoration,lol Jewelry was for special occasions, so I have no idea what old wives you have been talking to, but all the people I have been around all agree about the coins being holed for carrying purposes. I guess I might have heard it from an "old husband" who knows?? LOL

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets ask some "old wives" about those holed coins? People back then didn't wear coins for decoration,lol Jewelry was for special occasions, so I have no idea what old wives you have been talking to, but all the people I have been around all agree about the coins being holed for carrying purposes. I guess I might have heard it from an "old husband" who knows?? LOL

People have been wearing holed coins as jewelry for thousands of years, nobody was putting coins on strings to carry them. Coins were carried in "pokes" and like I said a coin then like now was de-valued by putting a hole in it. All the people you have been around who agree are likely newer detector folks. I used to work for an antique jewelry store and saw many coin necklaces going back hundreds of years, and have seen necklaces of ancient coins in museums.

maceman66

Mar 29, 2009
SE Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So holing coins devalued them, yet they were cut into pieces to make change?? That must be another old wives tale? That's why myself and several of us newer detector guys find them? Maybe an old lawnmower ran over them??? I'm not saying coins weren't made into jewelry over the years but I also know "poor folk" didn't make jewelry out of their hard earned money, Its just my 2 cents and i'm pretty sure theres no holes in it, LOL PS i'm so new I have only been detecting for 35 years,LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread