stupid question

Rave

Feb 28, 2007
Shropshire, England
Detector(s) used
XLT & Goldmaxx Power
please pardon my ignorance but I really enjoy looking at your "what is it section" & wondered if most detectorists had regular access to a finds expert.
In England, there are several Finds Liason Officers (or FLOs as they are known) that are each responsible for 2 or 3 counties. Basically they attend club meetings to identify finds, they attend digs & rallys when invited (to identify finds) & they hold weekly "finds days" where people can pop in & see them about stuff they've found. If anything is of interest they take it away & record it on a data base before giving it back. Most of this is then available online via the portable antiquities scheme

http://www.finds.org.uk/

http://www.finds.org.uk/involved/

When finds are given back, you are also given an A4 sheet with a detailed description of the find...age, material, what it was used for etc

They also advise whether something comes under the treasure act & needs to be declared...............how does this compare in the States? Do you have to declare certain finds?

Upvote 0

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I have understood, generally if you find it, you keep it. Usually if there is a possibility of something of major historical significants, the area is usually off limits to any detecting (i.e. national parks, national forests, etc)

Jeff G

Nov 5, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic II
we have no such office to handle that. Good thing too, the way our government works the information would be wrong 80% of the time, the property would get lost and lets not even think about the taxes they would try add to the finds....

You are on your own here to figure out what you have. If you want an expert to check it, you have to find the expert.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions