Styfflin's Oddity Log - Varieties, Errors or Damage?

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is going to be dedicated to my interesting coin roll hunting finds that I think are errors/varieties/etc. I don't want this in the CRH Log subforum, hidden in plain sight, so that's why I'm posting it in the higher-traffic coin roll hunting forum.
I am NOT an expert on numismatics, but I can certainly take pictures and ask questions with the best of them. Coin experts, please check this thread regularly and weigh in on my perceived finds. Novices (like me), soak up the knowledge. I'd like this thread to be a place to learn how to find the treasure that you'd normally toss out with your other dump coins.
I've been saving up oddities for a couple years now, only picking out coins that really stood out to me. Now that I finally purchased a 10x loupe, I can take a closer look at all my coins and really start finding some neat stuff.
I'll be posting one coin at a time, and I'll allow enough time and discussion between coins to adequately identify the error/variety/etc. and whether the coin is worth keeping or not. I've got a bunch of coins lined up, and I'm ready to talk about them. I just have to take the pictures - so stay tuned!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While we await more opinions on the previous coins, I'm going to post a bunch of possible clips. I've heard the term Blakesly effect thrown around a number of times, but I admittedly haven't studied up on them much.
Here's a 1974-D dime with what might be a very minor clip near the date.

IMG_3561.jpg
IMG_3562.jpg
IMG_3563.JPG

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1987-P with possible clip.

IMG_3564.jpg
IMG_3565.jpg
IMG_3566.JPG

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1999-P with possible clip.

IMG_3579.jpg
IMG_3580.jpg
IMG_3581.JPG

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
note the abnormal rim details 180 degrees from the clip--- less pressure on planchet as it goes thru upset mill to form rim opposite the clip--- that is Blakesley Effect. '87 & '99 are real deal, '74 too puny to join the error club :tongue3:--- a wannabee ______ like hillary:laughing9:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks PEA. I'll do more reading on the clips one of these days.
Here's another oddity. It's a 1990-P dime with rough edges in three different spots and in line with the profile of Roosevelt's bust. I have an idea of what the error is based off of a previous answer, but naturally I'm not sure. What are your thoughts?

IMG_3596.jpg
IMG_3597.jpg
IMG_3593.jpg
IMG_3594.jpg
IMG_3595.jpg

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While we await more opinions on the previous coins, I'm going to post a bunch of possible clips. I've heard the term Blakesly effect thrown around a number of times, but I admittedly haven't studied up on them much.
Here's a 1974-D dime with what might be a very minor clip near the date. . .

1987-P with possible clip. . .

74-D is unlikely for incomplete/clipped planchet.
87-P is a for sure and shows the Blakesley effect in textbook fashion.

When there is an incomplete planchet, the area directly opposite (180 degrees opposite, not coin face opposite) does not see the metal flow pressure that it normally does and so the rim does not form (or forms weakly). On your 87-P, the rim below the date on the obverse and the rim adjacent to "TATE" is weak or missing.

edit: Sorry, just saw that PEA said all of this already. . .

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks PEA. I'll do more reading on the clips one of these days.
Here's another oddity. It's a 1990-P dime with rough edges in three different spots and in line with the profile of Roosevelt's bust. I have an idea of what the error is based off of a previous answer, but naturally I'm not sure. What are your thoughts?

View attachment 1541916
View attachment 1541917
View attachment 1541918
View attachment 1541919
View attachment 1541921

my guess is die fatigue---- BUT,--- I will defer to Enamel & Huntsman on this one :dontknow:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
note the abnormal rim details 180 degrees from the clip--- less pressure on planchet as it goes thru upset mill to form rim opposite the clip--- that is Blakesley Effect. '87 & '99 are real deal, '74 too puny to join the error club :tongue3:--- a wannabee ______ like hillary:laughing9:

I agree that the '87 & '99 appear to be genuine clipped planchet errors. The '74 appears to have been pinched thus the deformation of the edge reeding on each side of the pinch.

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the story with this coin? It's a 1968-D Lincoln cent with a raised double curve pattern on his face. I've seen coins with similar shapes on them, like a double or triple curve, but they were incuse so you can tell they were damage. This one isn't so cut and dry. It doesn't show any signs of recent post mint damage. Maybe older post mint damage or something more?

IMG_3633.jpg
IMG_3634.jpg
IMG_3632 smaller.jpg

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IN GOD WE T---T. 1984 Lincoln cent with a nicely-placed grease spot.

IMG_3636.jpg
IMG_3637.jpg
IMG_3635.jpg

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honking die chip on the left side of Monticello on the reverse of a 2006-P nickel. Similar to what fmerg posted a few days.

IMG_3599.jpg
IMG_3598.jpg
IMG_3600.jpg

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
always ignored the newer nics until FMERG gave me the BOLO for that honker---

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spiked Roosevelt head on this 1996-P dime.

IMG_3588.jpg
IMG_3589.jpg
IMG_3587.jpg

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty much it for my initial photo batch. I withheld a few standard die cracks and other coins I didn't find particularly interesting enough to post. I believe I have enough oddities for another batch of photos, and I should have that ready to go in the next week or two.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the finds and on the presentation.
Clearly, you've put in some effort.

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the finds and on the presentation.
Clearly, you've put in some effort.

Thanks for following the thread and chiming in.
Once I get my permanent coin hunting and photoing set up in place, it won't be nearly as much effort. I'm hoping that room will be completed before spring, as most of my time will then be devoted to the lawn and gardens.
I'll continue to post all of my finds in this thread so they can be easily found and referenced in one central location.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
make lots of similar errors---same year coins with different errors that show die changes.

I have about 9 unique "extra cactus" qtrs that show the progression of a single die failing and others showing when die was changed and a new error formed

getting 20X++ face is not hard to get :happysmiley:

have over 30 cent errors I plan to list in lots that should yield over $20

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Too much for my eyesight, do you guys look at every coin under a loope? Nice errors, odds & ends I guess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread