Suggestions on a mid to high range detector

TMRoberts

Aug 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
Would greatly appreciate any and all input. We are looking for mid to high range detector and have a few questions for the experts.
1. Is there a huge difference between the mid range detectors and the $2,500 detectors.
2. Is there a mid range detector that can also locate gold nuggets with?

We currently find ourselves in the Mojave Desert were we enjoy finding relics but would also like to chance to track down the occasional nugget.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Chris

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett AT Gold.....but the ATX or Minelab PI machines are gonna find them deeper.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mid-range F-19 is a gold bug pro that is setup primarily for relic hunting but will be a good nugget detector also. Great machine for what you're wanting to do! Very lightweight and the adjustable V-break is awesome when relic hunting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TMRoberts

Aug 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greatly appreciate the advice! I have some research to do now. Have a great night.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Relics respond better to low frequency, small gold nuggets to high. It's best to get one that has the capabilities for both. MineLabs XTerra 705 with low and high coils would be great, especially if you are new to hunting. The AKA Signum 7272 is the Cadillac with the same coil ID process.

Aka Signum MFT 7272M

The 6X10 19 khz coil is perfect for gold
The 13" 3 khz perfect for relics

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relics respond better to low frequency, small gold nuggets to high. It's best to get one that has the capabilities for both. MineLabs XTerra 705 with low and high coils would be great, especially if you are new to hunting. The AKA Signum 7272 is the Cadillac with the same coil ID process.

Aka Signum MFT 7272M

The 6X10 19 khz coil is perfect for gold
The 13" 3 khz perfect for relics

I believe you are mistaken....as both relic and gold machines use high frequencies. Coin machines tend to use lower. Look at the new F19 from Fisher....it is a relic machine and uses 19khz.....look at the Tejon it uses around 19khz. Lower freq machines tend to not do as well in iron(where the relics are).

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was me I would go with the Whites gold at 48htz that's amazing for under 800 if gold is your only goal. Otherwise the Whites V3i is great for everything up to 22.5 htz

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xp deus would be your best choice I should think. Probably best all around detector. Has 4 different frequencies to hunt with and goldfield program for prospecting for nugget shooting.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe you are mistaken...

Wouldn't be the first time. You're right, I had to reread Dave J's essays. (I need to leave relic hunting to relic hunters):notworthy:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello TMRoberts,

I have machines for specific uses. That said, perhaps the White's V3i will serve you well since it has three frequency options: 2.5 KHz, 7.5 KHz and 22.5 KHz. This multi-frequency machine may a solution to your diverse hunting needs.

Regards,

KneeDeep31

Aug 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my experiences, a detector with a freq. of 17khz or higher would be best but I will add that if you do enjoy the relics too then I will agree with what Professor said "This multi-frequency machine may a solution to your diverse hunting needs." Multi freq. machines would be your best bet... Whites, Garrett and Minelab all have top notch machines for these purposes.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can afford it, the Minelab GPX series is king on both relics and gold..... but it does have some limitations. Its not much fun in a tight iron patch, and high EMI areas can give it fits. If you are in a clean area like a Civil War encampment however, they can't be beat.

A cheaper option would be the Garrett ATX.... its not quite as deep but does have some iron discrimination ability. The Garrett also is much more forgiving in a high EMI environment.

The next step would be a good VLF machine, you have been given several good options already. Two more that need to be considered are the latest version of the Teknetics T2 SE and Fisher F75.... deep, light, and versatile.

OP
OP
T

TMRoberts

Aug 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all so much for your wonderful posts. I just got back from a 25 day field problem and it looks as if I have a ton of research ahead of me. I promise to keep you posted on what machine we end up with.

Thanks again

Chris

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would look at the MXT All Pro.

All Pro? Is that the newest version on the MXT Pro? I would look into the Minelab X-Terra 705, or Etrac. Fisher F70 or F75. Garrett AT Pro, Whites MXT Pro, or V3. The higher frequencies hit harder on iron, lead, copper & gold . As another poster stated, the higher freqs are great for relics!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep Scott....all pro is the new version. Nice machine, but so are the others listed. Its all personal preference after that!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep Scott....all pro is the new version. Nice machine, but so are the others listed. Its all personal preference after that!

Amen brother! I would have thrown the X-Terra 505 in there, I just figured the OP had at least $600 to work with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread