Suggestions on getting this coin out!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to keep the coin and sell the bezel. I'm thinking I should probably just take it in to the jeweler and have him take it out because I'm afraid of breaking the back off. It seems like the small screwdriver I have is going to scratch the coin really bad. Any thoughts?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472934443.208944.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472934463.173205.jpg

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
I'd try using a cutical stick they use for fingernails . They have a tapered wedge style end on one side and a pointed end on the other . Wood shouldn't mar it ... give it a thought ... Woodstock

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also look at phone repair tools. They are cheap on ebay and made of plastic.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
You could try sliding dental floss under the prongs & pulling. It's never worked for me but I've talked with other people that had success doing it that way.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I came up with a really easy solution. I'm just going to keep it as it is. I tried the dental floss I thought I was going to cut my fingers off.

Thank you for the suggestions I'll probably keep it in here until I come across something at another yard sale that I can get for a quarter or less to pry it open! I hate going to the store to buy something for one time use, I'll find one eventually whatever it maybe!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fingernail or toe nail clippers. very carefully grab hold of the prong and bend up sometimes easier along the sides, once you get it up a little you can grab it better. You can dull or stone or whatever to make an older pair of clippers not as sharp.

if you get a small scratch its not the end of the world! Most times the coin is already scratched under the prongs from them being bent over and pushed into the coin.

Sounds crazy! But out of all the tools we had laying around, those were always what we went for. works on rings you are scrapping and want to keep the stones too. On the coin you just have to be very careful and don't get rough or in a big hurry. You can also use some heavier plastic to cover part of it in case you slip.

Last edited:

JonG

Feb 1, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Whites Eagle II SL 90
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a coin in a bezel like that, and used a disposable chopsticks from the sushi deli at the grocery store. I whittled the end just enough to get under the tab and pried it up just a little bit. Then turned the chopstick around, and pushed the end of it into the tab, and slowly bent it upward. The wood was soft enough not to scratch the coin, and I took my time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread