150.4 KB · Views: 41

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

Very cool. The representation is of an Assyrian eagle-headed protective spirit holding a symbolic fir cone in the raised hand and sprinkling holy water from a bucket in the other. The rosette bracelet on the wrist of that hand symbolises divine power.

For the Assyrians, doors and gateways were thought of as key locations through which good or evil influences might enter and the annals of the Assyrian kings make reference to colossal figures - part man, part animal - that were placed on either side of important palace and temple entrances that not only adorned the buildings and impressed visitors but also guarded them. Beside each figure there was often a smaller winged spirit carved in stone, carrying the fir cone and bucket like yours.

The Assyrian Empire emerged around 900 BC, and disintegrated around 627 BC when it was taken over by the Babylonians. At its height it covered most of what is now Iraq, parts of Iran, Kuwait, Syria and Turkey. What is now Jordan changed hands several times in antiquity but parts of it were conquered by the Neo-Syrian Empire around 720 BC

Compare your relief figure to this one in the British Museum from the North West Palace in Nimrud (Kalhu) in Iraq, dating to 865-860 BC. They have others from around the same era from the Temple of Ninurta in Nimrud. Ninurta was worshipped as the god of agriculture originally by the Sumerians and later by the Assyrians and Babylonians: variously as the god of agriculture, hunting, healing, law and scribes and later still by the Assyrians as a warrior figure; but the god has no specific association to eagle-headed spirit carvings.

Relief.jpg

I don’t think there is any easy way to determine the age or authenticity of your carving from the picture you provided but provenance and provenience are all-important. Were you personally present when this came out of a cave in Jordan, or is that where you were told it was found.? Was anything else found in the cave? If authentic, it would be a spectacular find, but you would need to consult Jordan’s antiquity laws to determine what degree of ownership you might be able to claim and whether or not it could legally leave the country. I haven’t checked, but I expect it would be problematical on both counts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chrb

Jan 31, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very very much for these valuable informations , we are trying to test a small piece from the back in a special lab just to see the age , wish me luck

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very very much for these valuable informations , we are trying to test a small piece from the back in a special lab just to see the age , wish me luck

You're welcome... but you didn't answer my questions!

What tests is the "special lab" going to conduct?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread