Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
I hear a parasite has been reeking havoc the last few years. Also, some bees have been "getting lost" some scientist are finding. For some unknown reason they can't find their way back to the hives and die.

Not to worry....I have a monastery of nuns praying for the bees recovery. I used to sell them 600 gallons of honey a year for cookies. They became concerned that the bee parasites might curtail their cookie baking. So, praying for the bees became a priority.

OP
OP
JakefaePa

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
Well ill keep a watch this end ..you keep those nuns on them knees eh ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Bees went back to their own Planet
where they don't blame everything on Global warming :wink:

OP
OP
JakefaePa

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
Seriously tho Jeff , if you find time..leave a note this year ..are you seeing them or is there a lack of them.Im not into conspiracys or whatever..just a concerned farmer mate.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JakefaePa said:
Seriously tho Jeff , if you find time..leave a note this year ..are you seeing them or is there a lack of them.Im not into conspiracys or whatever..just a concerned farmer mate.

I don't believe in Doomsday Signs :D

Too early in the Year Jake

& Yes I seen plenty of bees last year also.

I Havn't seen nests last year
But Remember we had a very cold Winter.
& I Don't think it's over yet

I Believe the Bees knew it was coming & Built their
nests accordingly.

IF We are to get a Mild winter next year
I Believe they will be more easily seen.

OP
OP
JakefaePa

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
Ive only been in Bucks for a year now ..little over..had crops( self pollinated and i planted flowers in hope to attract more bees) last year but noticed i didnt have bees.Ive spoken with friends up in pottsville who run orchards and they say the same thing without me asking ..i just listen and hear what they say , lets hope your right , im putting flowers all around my fields early to attract the wee buggers :thumbsup:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a couple people who were stung last year.

& Actually had Reactions which were Unusual
as Per what the doctors told them.
Like their Venum increased

Not sure what that's about.

I'm Talking Wasps (I get them on my Back Porch all summer Long.

Yellow Jackets Buzzing my Face at times.

& Bumble bees so loaded down they are walking my Sidwalk
& sitting on Dandalion in the summer.

Honey Bees ? not since my Neighbor Quit Producing Honey.

At least I Think he quit as I Don't see Honey bees lately that I Remember.

I'm only about 25 Mile west of Pottsville

OP
OP
JakefaePa

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
My first year here i seen mostly those black wasps they call them , they look bad as all get out but ive found they are docile enough to capture and release..people from around here say i shouldnt cos apparantly they wont stop stinging once they start..and i say ...ever been stung by one ? No they havnt..

Its the bees that pollinate our crops im on the look out for...wasps can buzz off

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
I've been a beekeeper since 1973. I noticed a scarcity of bees about 15 years ago. There was a severe winter which killed a lot of the wild bee colonies along with the varroa and tracheal mites which hurt the domestic colonies. It used to be difficult years ago to mow lawns and trying not to run over honey bees on the white dutch clover which is very prevalent in peoples yards. Last summer, I only saw a couple bees on clover all summer. I've talked to other beekeepers who have noticed the same situation. When I started beekeeping, I knew of at least 20 other beekeepers in my county. Now there are only 4 that I know of. Besides the cost to restock a hive costs around $80-$90. It ain't check any more.

OP
OP
JakefaePa

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
Funny you should say that cos i seriously find myself slowing down and even stopping just so i wont run over a bee when im mowing..thats how few i see..im glad of them

Please do keep us informed on whats happening in the bee world lumbercamp cos they are few and far between..we need more thats for sure

By the way ..i know it isnt cheap to keep bees , i looked into it as ive a fair bit of land ..i was shocked at the cost to get things started , id recomend that reading to anybody who likes to eat.

Mr. Mojo

Jan 9, 2007
Hummelstown, PA
Detector(s) used
Exp II
Hey with all the lawn care chemicals being used, you'd think the bees would be extinct. I mean how many people have Scotts, or some other company spray their lawns? Sure it looks pretty but, who is suffering. The hope is that I've seen Bald Eagles on several occasions, one just last week. Two years ago on fathers day, my son and I floated under a pair on a tree hanging over the Juniata river.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I saw a Bald Eagle a couple years ago hear in Guthriesville. As far as the bees, I have heard a lot about the decrease in Honey bee's. The lawn chem thing makes total sense.

Brian

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
As much as I hate bees and any other stinging bug, I am going in May to a bee farm. I am curious of how bees work and make the honey, lol. If I had a bigger yard I would be putting up a bee hive to get more bees here in my area.

As far as seeing bees, none this year. I am surprised I didn't see any stinging bug when we had temps in the 60's over the weekend.

Sue

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Every spring I get a phone call from a lawn company that wants to spray chemicals on my lawn . Their spiel is "Don't you want your lawn to be lush and green and free of dandelions"? My reply is NO. I'm a beekeeper and I like dandelions as they are a great source of nectar to build up a hive after a long winter. That shuts them up in a hurry.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smurf-42 said:
As much as I hate bees and any other stinging bug, I am going in May to a bee farm. I am curious of how bees work and make the honey, lol. If I had a bigger yard I would be putting up a bee hive to get more bees here in my area.

As far as seeing bees, none this year. I am surprised I didn't see any stinging bug when we had temps in the 60's over the weekend.

Sue

Only thing I Heard were geese on saturday.

I Don't think winter is over here yet.
I Think the worse is still to come for us.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
davew0710 said:
Isn't it a little early for bees?

Yes I Believe so.

Didn't even see Gnats, Black Flies saturday.
or webs. Only Green Briers. got me nice and bloody already :D

My nephew was saying about the Squirrels in the Fall were Hoarding unusual amounts

& Yesterday he said they were getting so Fat they were actually having Heart attacks.

it may have been because they knew the amount of Ice was going to
prevent them picking nuts etc off the ground,
But they over did it for what we got. so far

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
davew0710 said:
Isn't it a little early for bees?

Not here.....we had 2 in our work trailer at Allegheny Ludlum this past Friday....and there ain't no flowers in there...trust me.

There is a huge decrease in honey bees in general because of parasites killing them off and they are worried about the farms and pollination and everything else involved with them.

But they are not native to the US anyhow....they were imported from Europe. But don't worry...those African killer bees have crossed with them and they seem to be doing just fine, spreading up north with no problem. :o

Al

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They say it's because of the GMO corn that was grown in some parts of the USA several years ago,this is also effecting other bees,wasps and even Hummingbirds,all pollinators.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread