Sun Ray probe or Pistol Probe

nfunk

Dec 23, 2005
LaPlace Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, ACE 250
I have a yellow fella (ACE 250) and thinking about upgrading my pinpointer. I noticed a favorite probe for the Garrett's MDs are the Sun Ray probe. Then I saw the info and video on the DetectorPro's Pistol Probe PI probe which looks great. I like the idea of the Sun Ray utilizing the electronics of the ACE, but then I like the portability and not being dependant on a particular metal detector. Both being about the same price I would like to hear from the crowd on their thoughts.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Nick

Upvote 0

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
Consider that the sunray will make your machine heavier to swing and the pistol will not.

Just a thought If your arm gets tired quickly, the sunray won't help that any.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
vondrewvious said:
Consider that the sunray will make your machine heavier to swing and the pistol will not.

Just a thought If your arm gets tired quickly, the sunray won't help that any.
Yes sir i have to agree with...Vondrewvious.... plus you will not have to drag that extra cable around with you and have it tangle up and twist around and catch on things...........==Jim_K==

blklab

Jul 30, 2008
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
White's DFX/Garrett Ace 250/Troy X2/DetectorPro Pistol Probe
I personally like the Pistol Probe real well. Just got one and it works terrific.
I wrote a review on it under the topic "Tool Shed" if you'd like to read it.
I think the Sunray is very good as well, however I agree with the other posts
and the comments they had.

Maybe this info will assist you in your decision making process.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I'm not sure that Sunray makes an inline probe for the Ace 250.The Sunrays are detector specific.The Ace is only $20 more than the Sunrays.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
warsawdaddy said:
I'm not sure that Sunray makes an inline probe for the Ace 250.The Sunrays are detector specific.The Ace is only $20 more than the Sunrays.
OH, Yes they make Sun Ray probes ..for the Ace 250 detector ... The price of the detector has nothing to do with the cost of the probe ............Do you think that for all the Ace detectors out there that Sun Ray would give up sales like that ..............Because you did not put out big bucks for your detector they would not make a probe for it???. They are in business to make money....................==Jim_K==

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I stand corrected.They do make one for the Ace.You misinterpreted my reference to the difference in cost.I was not referring to the fact that Sunray would not make one for an inexpensive detector.I'm sure they would make a $179 probe even if the detector only cost $10,if people would buy it.I was only stating that info for the detector owner to digest.I had a sunray probe on my M6 and it worked perfectly,nothing wrong at all,except the cable and extra weight.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
warsawdaddy said:
I stand corrected.They do make one for the Ace.You misinterpreted my reference to the difference in cost.I was not referring to the fact that Sunray would not make one for an inexpensive detector.I'm sure they would make a $179 probe even if the detector only cost $10,if people would buy it.I was only stating that info for the detector owner to digest.I had a sunray probe on my M6 and it worked perfectly,nothing wrong at all,except the cable and extra weight.
Ops sorry about that.i did misundersand......................... That is true i hate extra cables & weight also. I was going to get the pistol Probe i have the new garrett but i read in the compass forum where the on off button was comeing out of it............. ...but he showed how he fixed his so it will not come out again.......

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Sunray for my E-Trac. It's great and has made a major difference in how fast I find stuff. There is a convenience in having what the probe says tell it to you through the headphones. However, that being said, if most of the posts are correct the Pistol finds things much deeper. The extra cord of the SR does get in the way sometime but it isn't a major thing. The extra weight could be. But think about the pistol. Every time you want it you have to take it out of the holster, and unless you carry it in your hand, you have to put it back in the holster. I have the SR mounted on the uppershaft and when I kneel down to dig it's right next to where I can easily grab it. I am thinking about getting the Pistol, but if I do, I will make clips similar to the SR and clip it onto the upper shaft and carry it there. There also have been some comments about law enforcement mistaking the pistol for a hand gun. Specially in some circumstances. I figure if I carry mine on the shaft there will be less chance it will be considered a weapon. I'm also waiting for someone to come up with a unique way to tape it, or something, so that nobody can mistake it for a weapon. Like pink electrical tape with blue stripes in between. Regards...Jim

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
I swear by my Sunray on my Fishers and Minelab Explorer. I had a Sunray on the Ace and it did not perform as well. In this particular circumstance, I recommend not getting the SunRay.

mnlineman

Jan 1, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
T2 Ltd Sovereign GT Tigershark
I have a Sunray for my Sovereign, it works good. I don't really notice the extra weight. I use it in the bush and don't have a problem with the cable snagging on anything. The best part is you will never leave it behind.

Uncle Willy

Oct 5, 2005
I field tested the Sun Ray for the 250 for Ralph and it works great and if you know how to use it properly it will get five inches in depth.

I also field tested and use the new Pro-Pointer by Garrett and it's another excellent pinpointer and currently selling like a house afire Either one will do you well. The PP is about $60 dollars cheaper than the Sun Ray.

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions