Sunday afternoon hunt

NC_Horn

Mar 17, 2005
Burlington, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Silver Eagle
I was finally able to contact the owner of an old school located a couple of miles from my house. This building has served as a general store, milling company store and used car lot in the past few years.

Hunting was slow, lots of old pull tabs and some can slaw though not as much as I had feared. While hunting, one of the neighborhood boys (17 or 18 so young man may be more appropriate) stopped by to see what I was up to. He watched as I dug a number of pull tabs. Finally, got a good target showing penny/dime on the ID. Dug down a couple of inches and hit the hardpack. With this area over 12 inches behind on rain for the year, the ground is like concrete in areas. Had to pound on the back of my digger with the palm of my hand to get any deeper. Finally popped out another chunk of soil and the imprint of a coin could be seen, turning over the clod, I found a '52 Rosie in decent shape. The young man stayed and watch me dig more trash for a while the went on his merry way. I continued to explore the property for another hour or so. Dug a couple of pennys that I wrote off as Wheats.

Pulled the coins out of my pouch and started soaking them this morning. Upon looking at one of them after removing some of the dirt, I find it is an Indian with Shield on the reverse (first for me). The other looks to be a Lincoln. Lincoln is rather chewed up by the gravel drive from where it was recovered. Can't make out any dates on either as the Carolina clay has not been kind them.

Also found a 30-30 case and 3 keys along with the assorted can slaw and numerous pull tabs.

Thanks for lookin!

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that first Injun, NC! And that silver! Great hunt!

Nana :)

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Congratulations on your first Indian Head!

Some day it will rain in NC again. Until then we need to do the best we can.

Nice job!

Ridley

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread