Sunday at the local park

idighistory

Feb 19, 2008
Bellaire Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/ Pioneer 202
Went detecting at the local park last Sunday for lack of something better to do. Well I had a couple of hits here and there, and then.....my detector went crazy, I was scooping up pennies, nickles, dimes and quarters, I figure coin spill but this was crazy, I mean a cache of coins here, what the hay, than I spied coin wrappers strewn around, and it dawned on me, a kiddie coin find contest, they had some sort of get together the Saturday before, and apparently got chased off the beach because of a thunder storm. Well this big kid got into the leftovers. Here the tally....

pennies...41
nickles.... 4
dimes.....31
quarters..7
canadian cent 1
grand total of 5.47 in change

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
idighistory said:
Went detecting at the local park last Sunday for lack of something better to do. Well I had a couple of hits here and there, and then.....my detector went crazy, I was scooping up pennies, nickles, dimes and quarters, I figure coin spill but this was crazy, I mean a cache of coins here, what the hay, than I spied coin wrappers strewn around, and it dawned on me, a kiddie coin find contest, they had some sort of get together the Saturday before, and apparently got chased off the beach because of a thunder storm. Well this big kid got into the leftovers. Here the tally....

pennies...41
nickles.... 4
dimes.....31
quarters..7
canadian cent 1
grand total of 5.47 in change
You know, something like this happened to me once.

I was hunting at an out-of-town park that I hadn't visited before, and was just getting started when I got a nice dime signal at 2 inches. I popped it up and was staring at a beautiful 1942 Mercury that looked almost uncirculated, with no discoloration at all. Odd, sure, but nothing crazy as similar things had happened before. But, over the course of the next few hours, I hit 8 more silver dimes, all of them just below the surface or, in a couple of cases, just tangled up in the grass roots, and almost all of them looked brand new.

The only thing I could think is that some club had a seeded hunt at the park, but I never could find a local club in that town. Weird, huh? ???

Nice finds, BTW! Sorry, didn't mean to ramble on in your thread, I promise I'm not trying to hijack it. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
I

idighistory

Feb 19, 2008
Bellaire Michigan
Detector(s) used
not at all, I was kind of hoping with that cache, ill find some silver or a wheetie or two., When I get the time i'm going to go through that area again.

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Great hunt! Congrats!

If you want to try Elm Pointe some time some annual family reunion does that here. I've gone over with some of the local kids and a couple of detectors a couple of times and turned the kids loose with sand scoops etc. They have a ball, and at least one of them bought a decent detector and has gotten into the hobby. Been a couple of years now, probably reloaded.

BTW- found another log camp in the Valley. Let me know if you are interested in hitting it for some relics.

Congrats again,
mp

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mpostma said:
Great hunt! Congrats!

If you want to try Elm Pointe some time some annual family reunion does that here. I've gone over with some of the local kids and a couple of detectors a couple of times and turned the kids loose with sand scoops etc. They have a ball, and at least one of them bought a decent detector and has gotten into the hobby. Been a couple of years now, probably reloaded.

BTW- found another log camp in the Valley. Let me know if you are interested in hitting it for some relics
Congrats again,
mp

Mark,

I got a 2004 Elk Rapids Class Ring at Elm Pointe last weekend! It was in knee deep water a few feet from the shoreline. :icon_sunny:

Ya talkin about camps in pleasant valley? Gotta watch out for those valley rats. :icon_pirat:

Hope to meet up with you guys soon!

No luck at Barnes. I hit the dry sand hard but forgot my wading shoes and didn't feel like wading in all those rocks with bare feet. :walk:

HH Tom

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Hi Tom,
Jordan Valley. Different Valley Rats, same breed though I think.

Have two log camps, and a CCC camp out there to choose from. Deep weeds and plenty of ants and bees right now.
My buddy down there kicked over a ground bee hive last weekend. He is still on meds to get the swelling an itching down.
I hit one in the woods at the old fairgrounds the week before. Nasty little buggers got me four or five times in about 4 seconds.

Nobody said it would be easy!
MarK

OP
OP
I

idighistory

Feb 19, 2008
Bellaire Michigan
Detector(s) used
Sounds great, been busy getting ready to move, but I can get un-busy,lol for some detecting, i'm going back to the park this evening to "finish the job"., You guys still interested on detecting in Pellston? Lets make plans, I say around the latter part of Sept.

OP
OP
I

idighistory

Feb 19, 2008
Bellaire Michigan
Detector(s) used
Update at the local park., Thats Richardi,
pennies=63
nickles=46
dimes=52