Sunday Funday in the Field.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. Tried to meet up with ole' Granddad of the field property I've been hunting today. Seems he was in church so I chatted with his son for a bit. I'll catch him on the rebound. Went back to the field I have been excavating iron from. Thought I'd scout out another area. Closer to the road but, far enough away to avoid gobs of nasty can slaw. First target just a few steps in the field produced the nice Nickel Plated brass furniture decoration. I thought, heck yeah.;D Peeps been down here too.

I dug a couple nice old pocket knives. Loving the target rich spot I selected this fine day. I was wired up but, still trying to go slow. Hit a solid repeatable around 45 on my Racer 2 and pulled a heart stopper! Golden goodness in the hole. After a little cleaning I was brought back to earth with a gold plated pin. Still a real thriller. Did I mention there was more iron in this spot?:dontknow::tongue3: Dug another 30+ pounds I reckon. Back to searching for keepers I eventually managed a nice 1901 Indian Head Cent. Always tickled to death recovering my favorite US coin design in all it's GREEN goodness.

I ran across some really dense iron patches so I switched my RC26 5.5 x 10 coil over to the Nel Snake. No secret silver is HIGH on my target agenda I managed a 1945 Merc dime. I was hoping 1800's Barber when I first saw the gleam of silver but, had to be content with only my second silver coin from this field. I dug Woodsy Owl right along the first row. He's bent out of shape and blind as a BAT since he's missing a few rhinestones but, still cool to me.

Dug a two piece button shank intact but the top is gone.:sad7: Found a few other bits and pieces of stuff? Not sure if the square chunk of lead is a "seal" of some kind? Anyhow, had a FUN Sunday! Hope ya'll did too! Thanks for stopping by! Kurios1

Kenny Rt. 38 Sunday Hunt 001.JPG Kenny Rt. 38 Sunday Hunt 002.JPG Kenny Rt. 38 Sunday Hunt 003.JPG Kenny Rt. 38 Sunday Hunt 004.JPG Kenny Rt. 38 Sunday Hunt 005.JPG Kenny Rt. 38 Sunday Hunt 006.JPG Kenny Rt. 38 Sunday Hunt 007.JPG Kenny Rt. 38 Sunday Hunt 008.JPG Kenny Rt. 38 Sunday Hunt 009.JPG Kenny Rt. 38 Sunday Hunt 011.JPG Kenny Rt. 38 Sunday Hunt 012.JPG Kenny Rt. 38 Sunday Hunt 015.JPG Kenny Rt. 38 Sunday Hunt 016.JPG Kenny Rt. 38 Sunday Hunt 020.JPG Kenny Rt. 38 Sunday Hunt 018.JPG Kenny Rt. 38 Sunday Hunt 019.JPG Kenny Rt. 38 Sunday Hunt 013.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 16

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would be happy with an IHP and Merc! Pic 7 shows a bee on the base of your thumb. Oddly, I got stung on the exact spot on both thumbs today through my gloves by yellow jackets while detecting a field. Weird! Congrats!!

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be happy with an IHP and Merc! Pic 7 shows a bee on the base of your thumb. Oddly, I got stung on the exact spot on both thumbs today through my gloves by yellow jackets while detecting a field. Weird! Congrats!!

The "bee" is a "sweat" bee as we call them in Illinois. They like to suck the sweat off us I guess???? They don't have stingers and are actually kind of cool. They let you pet them if you care to do such things.:tongue3: I enjoyed the day and am really taking to field hunting. Should have dove into field hunting from the beginning.:icon_thumright:

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man... I thought it was a wasp. Sound like you had fun. Nice finds!

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good targets keep a man coming back for some more....Congrats on another good outting..:thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Two sites in one field? Your sh'n me now aren't you. :)

Well done on the Merc. and the IH, a good day for the coinage recovery. Still there must be the elusive Barber hiding there or even something earlier your digging in the time frame.
Have you done a walk about on the whole field just hot spotting as of yet? The bee shot is a cool pic liking the info on the difference.
Well you had a hoot digging out in the field again one could say. :icon_thumleft:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great hunt with lots of variety. I love finding old pocket knives. They were a big lose too someone back in the day.
Glad you had a nice day

HH, RN

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds!
HH
dts

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two sites in one field? Your sh'n me now aren't you. :)

Well done on the Merc. and the IH, a good day for the coinage recovery. Still there must be the elusive Barber hiding there or even something earlier your digging in the time frame.
Have you done a walk about on the whole field just hot spotting as of yet? The bee shot is a cool pic liking the info on the difference.
Well you had a hoot digging out in the field again one could say. :icon_thumleft:

This field is HUGE. I have been focusing on the high ground and surrounding slopes as you suggested. I tried close to the road just out of curiosity Sunday and managed some nice recoveries. I hit it again after work today and got a 1923 wheat and a pair of banged up two piece buttons. There was an old one room school house in the corner of this field or just beyond it on private property. I need to meet the home owners and introduce myself before circling their property in the field like a vulture.;D I have walked the high ground to the home owners property, about a quarter mile or so and it gets pretty quiet beyond the slopes on the flat ground. I may choose a day to walk the perimeter of the field just to scout for signs of activity. Right now I want to go meet the 92 year old Granddad and see if he can point me in the direction of more old homesteads or other hotspots. Perhaps he'll be home tomorrow.:hello:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you keep finding some very cool stuff and that keeps it interesting. we have the sweat bees down here too. the bigger news bees can be rather noisy but harmless to us. that is a fun hunt setting and fun is good!

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds ..good site ...congrats on the silver

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a great hunt to me, congratulations! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread