Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunday's Preform

Walking Charlie in the woods surrounding my usual site when I spotted this white quartz item. I believe that its a preform, though I wonder what its doing about two miles away from the Indian Campsite. This is close to where i found a beautiful confirmed point not long ago. All comments welcomed :wink:

Attachments

• preform on ground.jpg
    preform on ground.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 376
  • PF on ground2.jpg
    PF on ground2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 381
  • preform in hand.jpg
    preform in hand.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 367
Upvote 0
Re: Sunday's Preform

would have to see a better, less fuzzy pic to be able to identify it as a preform. most preforms wouldn't be so small. not bustin your chops, but can't give a positive identification without better pics.

archaeon said:
would have to see a better, less fuzzy pic to be able to identify it as a preform. most preforms wouldn't be so small. not bustin your chops, but can't give a positive identification without better pics.

I hear ya. Sadly, I never carry my real camera on those treks. I am reduced to my cellphone camera. I will try and make time to get some better pics of it and a few others that I have found. If it were in any other area than where I found it, i would have not even picked it up. thanks for the thoughts.

I believe that its a preform, though I wonder what its doing about two miles away from the Indian Campsite.

I can't help you confirm whether you found preform, but I can tell you that anything can turn up about anywhere. I keep my eyes on the gound all the time. I find modern coins out in the middle of nowhere. People lose stuff all the time.

Prehistoric Indians also didn't think they were littering when they tossed something that they had no use for either.

Billco said:
I believe that its a preform, though I wonder what its doing about two miles away from the Indian Campsite.

I can't help you confirm whether you found preform, but I can tell you that anything can turn up about anywhere. I keep my eyes on the gound all the time. I find modern coins out in the middle of nowhere. People lose stuff all the time.

Prehistoric Indians also didn't think they were littering when they tossed something that they had no use for either.

Good "point" :wink:

AB80; that preform could have been lost just like we loose a quarter, fell out of his bag as he reached for his skinner, I find perfect points in the woods where where there are no sites. Maybe it was shot and lost or likewise dropped. Wouldn't it be nice if you could have been there to see what had happened? Thanks for sharing.

gilmerman said:
AB80; that preform could have been lost just like we loose a quarter, fell out of his bag as he reached for his skinner, I find perfect points in the woods where where there are no sites. Maybe it was shot and lost or likewise dropped. Wouldn't it be nice if you could have been there to see what had happened? Thanks for sharing.

Thanks gilmerman. that is exactly what I love about this hobby. Walking along an old trail, imagining the people of another time walking down that same path...maybe hunting. I swear, I can almost feel them.... even see them sometimes. it is soooooo cool. you know... when I saw this one.... I thought about it perhaps falling, unnoticed as the owner walked or perhaps ran along the path on his way back to camp. this trail leads into and out of an area that was used as a summer fishing camp for thousands of years. There are tons of deer and other animals in these woods today and i imagine it has always been that way.

Anyway.... Thanks again for your thoughts. Makes me want to head back out. Sadly, I will have to wait for the weekend. Stay safe!

There are tons of deer and other animals in these woods today and i imagine it has always been that way.

Not always. We have no way of knowing what the deer population was before the Europeans got here and began recording history, but from the writings of early explorers there was most likely a lot. But here in Alabama, at the turn of the last century there was only an estimated 10,000 whitetail deer in the entire state. The current whitetail population is about 2 MILLION - there are only 4 1/2 million people living in Alabama. As recently as 20 years ago, deer sightings were something to talk about. Now if you're in the woods, you're more likely to spot deer, as not. Probably one reason why hardly anybody squirrel hunts anymore - deer are so easy.... Wild turkeys were almost extinct by the 1930's - now there are over a 1/2 million in Alabama alone. I NEVER saw them when I was growing up, now I see them all the time.

About finding stuff in the woods where it doesn't belong: I find coins all the time. But last week I found one on top of another, which was kinda odd. Then I found another, and another. Eventually I picked up over 400 pennies, a nickle, two quarters, and two marlboro cigarrette tokens. My best guess is that somebody got their cash box ripped off and whoever did it didn't want to mess with the pennies. The animals aren't what I worry about in the woods - maybe the two legged sort.

I dislike being negative, because if one can't say anything possitive/nice, why bother.. ::) (on my best behaviour, lol )
Again AB, looks rather like a small Morrow Mountain-type 2, but difficult to see by the pic. I personally don't believe its a preform at all.
We, being neighbours, find relitively the same points,fragments etc. If its worked, then its most probably has I've said..
Keep your eyes peeled..btw, show some more pics of Charlie, I've took to him. ;D

Molly. :)

Billco said:
There are tons of deer and other animals in these woods today and i imagine it has always been that way.

Not always. We have no way of knowing what the deer population was before the Europeans got here and began recording history, but from the writings of early explorers there was most likely a lot. But here in Alabama, at the turn of the last century there was only an estimated 10,000 whitetail deer in the entire state. The current whitetail population is about 2 MILLION - there are only 4 1/2 million people living in Alabama. As recently as 20 years ago, deer sightings were something to talk about. Now if you're in the woods, you're more likely to spot deer, as not. Probably one reason why hardly anybody squirrel hunts anymore - deer are so easy.... Wild turkeys were almost extinct by the 1930's - now there are over a 1/2 million in Alabama alone. I NEVER saw them when I was growing up, now I see them all the time.

About finding stuff in the woods where it doesn't belong: I find coins all the time. But last week I found one on top of another, which was kinda odd. Then I found another, and another. Eventually I picked up over 400 pennies, a nickle, two quarters, and two marlboro cigarrette tokens. My best guess is that somebody got their cash box ripped off and whoever did it didn't want to mess with the pennies. The animals aren't what I worry about in the woods - maybe the two legged sort.

Your 100% correct. The dynamic has changed throughout history and continues to do so, one way or the other. The written history of the area where I live and hunt for arrowheads tells the story of this particular site as having been used as a summer fishing camp. It also tells of ample hunting, in terms of deer, turkey and other game. One of the fish that the Indians would target here were huge Gar. They would fish at night in canoes. There would be one person on each end with spears at the ready and one person in the middle tending a fire. the firelight would draw the Gar to the surface and the spearmen would strike. very interesting stuff. Now, artifacts found in this area date to long before that era and so, the range of points is rather broad.

As for the fear of animals. yea man.... i never go unarmed (anywhere) and it most certainally is not out of fear of anything on four legs hahaha. The few people that I have run into in the woods around here have been good people though. Dog walkers, hikers and runners.

thanks for the post brother. Stay safe!

Molly said:
I dislike being negative, because if one can't say anything possitive/nice, why bother.. ::) (on my best behaviour, lol )
Again AB, looks rather like a small Morrow Mountain-type 2, but difficult to see by the pic. I personally don't believe its a preform at all.
We, being neighbours, find relitively the same points,fragments etc. If its worked, then its most probably has I've said..
Keep your eyes peeled..btw, show some more pics of Charlie, I've took to him. ;D

Molly. :)

Hi Molly. I hope all is well with you :wink: I see the probable Morrow Mountain connection in this one as well. here again though, I am faced with the right shape, the right material and the absence of any clear indications of it having been worked. Other than the base and shape of it, there are no visible flaking marks on it. As that is the case with many of the points in our area, it is not necessarily a deal breaker... just adds to the debatability of the thing haha :D

I have been so behind in not only getting clear photos of these things, but even getting out to hunt lately. I have been fortunate enough to have been selected to take over our firearms and tactical unit and the transition has kept me way to busy and left me very little time to get out into the woods. That will change as the dust settles and I get things here at work in order, believe me... Charlie has not been happy about my busy schedule haha.

Speaking of Charlie..... how cool is it that you asked about him? ;D ;D ;D! Nobody is happier to talk about and share photos of Charlie that I! He really is my very best friend on the planet and I thank you for asking about him. ya know.... last night he kept me up very late. For some reason he wanted to be petted and told how awesome he is and would NOT stop demanding attention until well after 1:00am! he got into bed, stood over me (all 105lbs of him) and pushed his nose into my face to wake me up and lick me. He almost licked off an eyebrow! haha.

I am looking forward to this weekend and will be sure to get Charlie out and find some new stuff. In the meantime... stay safe and thanks again for the post.

here is a recent photo of Charlie and my nephew. I am adopting him and his brother and they just LOVE Charlie! the boys have been with me for a year this month and the adoption should be final before December. Now look close at Charlie's face... is that kissable or what? :wink:

Attachments

• Charlie N Collin.JPG
    Charlie N Collin.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 249

I don't know the situation with the boys, but you sure are doing the right thing. There's lot's of needy children in this wicked world.
We say broken Arrows need love too, so do broken children, both heartbreakers..
You are a saint. I don't want to go all religious on you, because I keep those things to myself, but God bless you.
Charlie is one in a million too, yes he does look kissable/hugable. I'm rather taken by him, I see lots of pics of dogs but, for some reason I've fell big time for Charlie. ::)
Thankyou for the nice story & pic, pleasant way to start my day.. ;D

Well time to get my wellingtons on & hit my field. I've been thinking alot about grooved axes,maybe i'll find one. :)

Molly.

Molly said:
I don't know the situation with the boys, but you sure are doing the right thing. There's lot's of needy children in this wicked world.
You are a saint. I don't want to go all religious on you, because I keep those things to myself, but God bless you.
Charlie is one in a million too, yes he does look kissable/hugable. I'm rather taken by him, I see lots of pics of dogs but, for some reason I've fell big time for Charlie. ::)
Thankyou for the nice story & pic, pleasant way to start my day.. ;D

Well time to get my wellingtons on & hit my field. I've been thinking alot about grooved axes,maybe i'll find one. :)

Molly.

Thanks Molly. yea, your right.... the world can be harsh and to be honest, these boys have seen and been through things that even shock me. That's pretty hard to do! They are great kids and they are loving living in Virginia......just like I am. Its a long way from the mean streets of Compton California, where they were in Foster Homes for a while. they are lucky to be alive.

I fully understand the draw to Charlie. Anyone who is even slightly awake can see in his eyes that he is a kind and loving soul. Nothing but greatness comes from him and he gives as much love as he gets.... and that's quite a bit :wink: I will tell you this......... life with him has altered the very foundation of what I believe in with respect to animals and life in general. I have no clue as to what I would do without that fat, fury teddy bear hahaha.

Good luck today and everyday :) I can't wait to see what you find.

This is Charlie on a park bench after a swim in the river. He is watching two jet skies going by.

Attachments

• charlie at park1.jpg
    charlie at park1.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 227

Love that dog and good luck to you and your nephews. It takes a great guy to take on such a big responsibility . I wish you and yours great success., Unitas

unitas said:
Love that dog and good luck to you and your nephews. It takes a great guy to take on such a big responsibility . I wish you and yours great success., Unitas

Thank you Unitas. That means a lot to me.

Molly said:

I agree with ya Molly, Airborne is one helluva guy. And as a Golden Retriever owner myself I truley understand the bond you share with Charlie, I could'nt imagine my life without Buddy. I know I have posted a few pics of my Golden (Buddy) but I wanted to share this one as well, he even likes the same beer as me :thumbsup:

Attachments

• buddy with beer.jpg
    buddy with beer.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 182

Ohio_Doug said:
Molly said:

I agree with ya Molly, Airborne is one helluva guy. And as a Golden Retriever owner myself I truley understand the bond you share with Charlie, I could'nt imagine my life without Buddy. I know I have posted a few pics of my Golden (Buddy) but I wanted to share this one as well, he even likes the same beer as me :thumbsup:

Awwww thanks for that. Hey man...... Buddy is beautiful and sitting here at work seeing him has me missing Char beyond belief! hahaha. Thanks for the kind words and throw in a pic or three of Buddy every now and the... I know the others share my enjoyment at seeing him. I look for any excuse to get Charlie into my pics which is not very hard, considering that he is never far from me. Stay Safe!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back