Sunken Civil War-era tug near Egmont key now an archaeological preserve...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For all you divers around Tampa Bay... and those who plan on coming down... here a site found by us wreck divers eons ago...
It is a great site in summer months...
It has now been recognized a historical site...
At first they did not believe it had any significance.

And... this is my launch hole and home away from home for many years in background of news caster at beginning.

Sunken Civil War-era tug near Egmont key now an archaeological preserve | Tampa Bay Times

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like you've lived a very fascinating life. Maybe a book is in order? Anybody who gets to do some treasure hunting in life is a blessed soul.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Intermission heh.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
God. What a way to go. Think you're about to drown and then be scalded to death or blasted away when the boiler exploded.

The Sea's a harsh mistress.

ARRC - You'd love it up here. The water's always cold and visibility is about two feet (though Skaneateles has become glass clear and Cayuga is much clearer because of the stupid little (sharp!) zebra mussels that are on everything. Actually justified getting a prescription mask. I snorkel and at 15 feet the water is 55°F in mid August.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
God. What a way to go. Think you're about to drown and then be scalded to death or blasted away when the boiler exploded.

The Sea's a harsh mistress.

ARRC - You'd love it up here. The water's always cold and visibility is about two feet (though Skaneateles has become glass clear and Cayuga is much clearer because of the stupid little (sharp!) zebra mussels that are on everything. Actually justified getting a prescription mask. I snorkel and at 15 feet the water is 55°F in mid August.

Charlie I have one thing to say to your post...
ARRGG !!! (water temp and viz)
But I love it man... that you are out there.
This is where determination and success meet.

My normal dive season on and off for 30 years has been April 1st - Oct-1st...
and most of the time would go over till Halloween... and even T-day.
But never any later... and that only depended on the weather...
but usually the currents ... winter storm fronts...
and viz dropping to almost zero in most areas ... and did I mention... colder than a witches tit.
I know that up north gets cold because I have been all over U.S> at various times of years and lived in several other states... So I know you have MUCH colder water to deal with.
But If I were in an area like yours that has some history around water and was legal to do so... I would go for it as well.

OH.. p.s. I have heard about the "mussel" problem up north waters have.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread