cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I didn't find a treasure map but X did mark the spot at one yard sale.

I did my usual questioning at each yard sale. "do you have any coins...etc" and this weekend 5 people said "yes let me go get them".

But at one sale this lady said she had Pirate coins. So I asked her if I could see them. The whole time I was thinking they were "Pirates of the Carribean" coins because I was only a few miles from disneyland. But she came out with a large flat box and pulled out a big picture frame with 5 coins and several certificates glued to the matte board. I knew these were real because I recognized the very first coin. A silver 8 Real the size of a silver dollar from the ship Atocha sunk in 1622 and found by Mel Fisher. There were 4 other coins too, from other shipwrecks, but I didn't care, I immediately asked the lady how much. The first price she said, I thought about it a little (just for drama) and said OK. I knew the Atocha coin was worth a lot. Here are google pics of three of the coins. Mine are glued to matte board and under glass. The pics would not come out very well.

This is the 8 Real from the Atocha, wrecked in 1622
coin-01.jpg

This is a Ducaton from the ship Hollandia sunk in 1743
coin-02.jpg

This is a copper cash coin from the Admiral Gardner wreck of 1808
coin-03.jpg

My Precious

Feb 10, 2009
Adirondack Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find!!! Unreal what's at sales, and I'm definetly going to start asking about coins and jewelry. Way to go cyberdan!

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.....THOSE ARE BEAUTIFUL COINS......YOU DID IT AGAIN......Amazing at what can be found at a Garage Sale!!..........JOE

Riff

Aug 30, 2016
Maple Valley WA
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I didn't find a treasure map but X did mark the spot at one yard sale.

I did my usual questioning at each yard sale. "do you have any coins...etc" and this weekend 5 people said "yes let me go get them".

But at one sale this lady said she had Pirate coins. So I asked her if I could see them. The whole time I was thinking they were "Pirates of the Carribean" coins because I was only a few miles from disneyland. But she came out with a large flat box and pulled out a big picture frame with 5 coins and several certificates glued to the matte board. I knew these were real because I recognized the very first coin. A silver 8 Real the size of a silver dollar from the ship Atocha sunk in 1622 and found by Mel Fisher. There were 4 other coins too, from other shipwrecks, but I didn't care, I immediately asked the lady how much. The first price she said, I thought about it a little (just for drama) and said OK. I knew the Atocha coin was worth a lot. Here are google pics of three of the coins. Mine are glued to matte board and under glass. The pics would not come out very well.

This is the 8 Real from the Atocha, wrecked in 1622
View attachment 365446

This is a Ducaton from the ship Hollandia sunk in 1743
View attachment 365447

This is a copper cash coin from the Admiral Gardner wreck of 1808
View attachment 365448

Awesome! Great find

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find.

I once found a El Cazador 8 Real shipwreck coin (in a holder with a felt border) at an estate sale after the crowds had died down. It was sitting on a table in the back bedroom. I took it up front and paid with the intention of giving the "fake" coin to my niece to play with. Turns out it was real! The coin shop guy gave me a ballpark condition and value 60-80.00

I paid 2.00 and still have the coin. I've seen nice examples of Atocha coins sell for over 3-4000 bucks. You did good, Dan!

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find!!! Unreal what's at sales, and I'm definetly going to start asking about coins and jewelry. Way to go cyberdan!

That was six years ago, I had forgotten all about them. I later sold them to one of these guys. I got a good price so you know I didn't sell them to the other three.

Attachments

• coin-buyer.jpg
    coin-buyer.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 146

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread