Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all:

When I woke up to 7 degrees today I figured a hunt was out. But by afternoon it was sunny, no wind, and a balmy 25 degrees. Let's dig! I hit a woods spot for a short hunt and ended up with 7 coins (all clad), 6 buttons (CW reproductions) and miscellaneous relics. I tried hard to turn the big copper piece into a sundial to no avail. :wink: I sure wish the buttons really were genuine CW buttons but I guess it beats digging zincolns and .22 shell casings. And I was out digging in Jan. in MI. :icon_thumleft: (although some spots were tough to bust into.)

HH and thanks for looking,
Michiganne

pic 1 - sunshine in the woods
pic 2 - I always wanted to post a dirt pic with hidden treasure
pic 3 - junque'
pic 4 - copper disc what's it :dontknow:
pic 5 - coins
pic 6 - CW buttons

Attachments

• treasure2010 054.jpgcomp.jpg
    treasure2010 054.jpgcomp.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 278
  • treasure2010 055.jpgcomp.jpg
    treasure2010 055.jpgcomp.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 280
  • treasure2010 057.jpgcomp.jpg
    treasure2010 057.jpgcomp.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 273
  • treasure2010 058.jpgcomp.jpg
    treasure2010 058.jpgcomp.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 235
  • treasure2010 059.jpgcomp.jpg
    treasure2010 059.jpgcomp.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 267
  • treasure2010 060.jpgcomp.jpg
    treasure2010 060.jpgcomp.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 265
OP
OP
Michiganne

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spooky said:
You have to be the ONLY person in MI to dig CW buttons IN Michigan!!!! :laughing9:

For comparison, here's a real CW button I did dig in MI last spring.

HH,
Michiganne

Attachments

• treasure 2009 040comp.jpg
    treasure 2009 040comp.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 271
  • treasure 2009 040comp.jpg
    treasure 2009 040comp.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 262

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello
Nice finds in frozen soil. I wanted to ask you was there any type of battle at all in the area you were in? The reason I ask is that flat bent bar.We find those and have been thinking they were used to shore up rifle pits. I could be way off base here just curious .
Thank you
TnMountains

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some really nice finds. CONGRATS :thumbsup: You're a lot braver than me, but then you're use to those colder temps. Me? No thanks, I'll stay inside where it's warm. ;D

:wink: RR

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
TnMountains said:
Hello
Nice finds in frozen soil. I wanted to ask you was there any type of battle at all in the area you were in? The reason I ask is that flat bent bar.We find those and have been thinking they were used to shore up rifle pits. I could be way off base here just curious .
Thank you
TnMountains
I'm going out on a limb here because I'm no expert, But as far as I know there were no Civil War battles in Michigan. There were Civil War era military camps in southern Michigan so it could be a period relic.
Mike should be able to give better info.

Wolverine.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kinda knew that but wonder if they had a training or staging area. Maybe they know what the bent thing is. You guys stay warm up there. Its gotten pretty bad for us down here.
Thanks

Mich. Wolverine said:
TnMountains said:
Hello
Thank you
TnMountains
I'm going out on a limb here because I'm no expert, But as far as I know there were no Civil War battles in Michigan. There were Civil War era military camps in southern Michigan so it could be a period relic.
Mike should be able to give better info.

Wolverine.

BandB1

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2008
SE Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunting Anne, Congrats! :thumbsup:

Don't know if the woods here have frozen yet, but I plan on finding out before
too long, some warmer days coming up- like 28 to 35 degrees. :icon_sunny:

Good luck,
HH.

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Anne, I would sure like to find some cool buttons like those.

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs! If I was digging in VA and found that CSA and the " button I would have done the chicken dance all through the woods! :blob8: :blob9: :blob7: :blob6: :blob5: :blob3: :blob10: :blob1: :wav:
I still like them even though you know of re-enactments that took place there. The copper disc is likely a plate used by the re-enactors to eat. I think that site would be fun to dig at. I seen the talk on the thread was about CW battles up here. None that I know of. There are some CS relics found now and then at old home sites which are just items brought back from the war. What does the back of those two buttons look like?

Mike

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds Anne!! I would be totally stoked about digging those buttons, regardless of genuine or not. that's some fun hunting stuff there, glad you were able to get out. Love the sunshine, great pics. good luck out there, Griff

Jim C.

Jun 23, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer (is there another brand)
They sure look real to me. The backmarks will tell if they are or not. Whats on em?

OP
OP
Michiganne

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Sunny woods hunt UPDATED - Jan. 30

OK, here are the backs of the buttons. The "I" button says "superior quality." The large eagle button is blank. The small CSA button says "WATERBURY CO'S INC CONN."

Regarding button reproductions, vayank54 told me:
You can tell by the backmarks. Most repros will have WATERBURY COMPANIES INC on the back or just a plain back .
He also told me that a few CW reenactors do use real CW buttons. Some guys use Spanish American war buttons as they were very close to CW buttons.
I thought a button was a button.....I guess not! Still learning! :read2:

Also, I don't think the copper round piece is a plate, Mike. Too shallow. I added a pic of the opposite side. It has two slots to attach to something. The smooth side had some adhesive residue around the edge. Still no idea. :icon_scratch:
HH,
Michiganne

Attachments

• treasure 2010 055.jpgcomp.jpg
    treasure 2010 055.jpgcomp.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 225
  • treasure 2010 052.jpgcomp.jpg
    treasure 2010 052.jpgcomp.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 218

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Nice finds Anne....I spent half the day yesterday scouting for a couple of foundations(found one). Although the thermostat read 17, it was a truly gorgeous day....with no wind and plenty of sunshine it was a joy to be outdoors.

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Way to go Anne! Those are great finds. Wish I had the gumption to get out at this time of year. I guess I better spend some time at least exploring new spots.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Hey Anne
Cool finds The eagle and the CSA are repros. The I I'm not sure about. The I is a confederate Infantry button. CS buttons had a big letter, block, lined, script or manuscript to show the branches of service. The union used the standard eagle button. Eagle buttons with letter in the shield were used by officers to show the particular branches of service. The lettered eagle buttons can predate the civil war or be later as well.
On your I button, I have never seen a repro with a SUPERIOR QUALITY backmark. A civil war period SQ mark would have dots instead of stars and would not be stamped as strong. I think your button may be a restrike made for confederate veterans or a 1960 restrike made for the centennial. I'll try to find out more on it.

Jim C.

Jun 23, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer (is there another brand)
Hey Anne, could the reenactment site also be a site chosen because during the civil war there was a camp there? Just askin.

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Anne!! Love the buttons - authentic or not :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread