Sunray or Garrett

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
I just got a Sunray probe for my E Trac last week and love it. It gives great depth and I like the ability to hear what I am pin pointing in the actual tones the E Trac uses.
The Garrett is an excellent pin pointer too. It is not as deep and I find that with the Sunray, in discrimination mode while pin pointing, I can get a much better idea of exactly where the target is in the hole.
On the other hand, during a club treasure hunt over the weekend, I found I was using the Garrett. I just left it turned on which was faster than toggling the Sunray and messing with the cord.
I think I will keep my Garrett as a backup, but for me after only a few days, the Sunray is the way to go.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Garrett is my choice. I have a Scorpion and don't leave home without it. I used my Garrett pinpointer this weekend that out sourced another brand name pinpointer. My pinpointer took a half a minute to learn how to be a pro at it. Found loose change in my yard in under a minute of searching.

Corpsegrinder

Oct 21, 2008
Magnolia AR
Detector(s) used
(2)Minelab E-Tracs, 12x10 SEF's, Sunray X-1 Probes, & an arsonal of coils. Excal 2, Tesoro Golden Sabre+
There really is no comparison. Garrett you have to carry around in a pouch,pocket or Sunray that attaches on your shaft. Uses actual detector tones. and goes 3 inches and will give you the exact inch of where the target is in the hole.. I have both my e-tracs equipped with em.. In fact i have no idea how i found the target in the hole without em!

Get the sunray. You wont look back..

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Sunray on my Garrett detector and loved it. Monty

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
I don't know about the Garret, but I have the Sunray and can't imagine detecting without it. The only thing I don't like is an annoying crackle when you toggle to the probe. Other than that, it has made target location much quicker and enjoyable. Well worth the cost in my opinion...

ColoradoGoldman

Jul 9, 2009
Falcon, CO.
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300,Whites Pulse Scan TDI, Detector Pro Pistol Probe
I've used several, sunray, garrett, whites, even the cheeeeeep Harbor freight. I now use the Detector Pro pistol pointer it is a PI unit that works great in all soil types. I use it to pin point before I dig, and dig a lot smaller holes which makes the turf techs happy. I can pin point a dime at 6+" find it quick and be swinging a gain. No it don't look like a pistol, never even been asked a question like that. No the police don't freak out. I never had any trouble at all. It works great on small gold nuggets too.
C

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
Propointer is lighter, easier to carry, use it with any detector and is less expensive.

Sunray is heavy, gives you discrimination tones that are not needed but does have a bit more depth. That extra depth however will just make it take longer to find the target.

Try one and see for yourself

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like my Sun Ray very much. It's a 3/4" coil that you can hear with your headphones. Never gets left behind or runs out of batteries at a bad time (at least not as long as the detector is charged up). Doesn't add much weight - the probe itself is hollow PVC and the box is small and light.

Don't know about the Garrett, but in general they make good stuff. Depth is not usually an issue. Any more than 2" is wasted (on me, at least). You can get a pretty good estimate of depth by raising and lowering the coil before you start digging (or watching the depth read-out if so equipped). It's that last inch that is critical to avoid scratching a good coin. Too much sensitivity and you don't know where in the hole the target is. Could be to one side or deeper down. :wink:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
I have the sunray on my DFX and use the Garrett with my 6000Pro analog. So I have a lot of experience with both. They both work great, but my hunting partner uses the sunray and I use the Garrett. I think my recoveries are much quicker with the Garrett. I have used a bullseye as well. After a couple years, the button kinda wore out. The Centech harbor freight was good for a quick fix but they broke down to much and too aften. The Vibraprobe was decent for awhile but I jammed it in the clay and broke it.

So all in all I think the Garrett is a great tool but I have only had it for a half season. But I think I am getting another one for this season for my buddy. Hope this helps. ;D jgas

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
Wow, another one of these? I wonder what the OP will buy? :laughing7:

Ok one more in addition to what's already said....

Garrett (or any stand alone PP) = lost in a hole!
Sunray = not going anywhere! :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread