Sunray pinpointer for etrac vs garrett pro pointer

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Hey guys. I would like to know from you all that have used both which one you like best and why. I have the garrett but I thought the sunray might be better in going a little deeper when pinpointing. With this etrac I find I have to dig alot deeper than before, and didnt know if the sunray would be able to hit the targets a little sooner than the garrett. The garrett is really good, just would like some opinions. Thanks for the info.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys. I would like to know from you all that have used both which one you like best and why. I have the garrett but I thought the sunray might be better in going a little deeper when pinpointing. With this etrac I find I have to dig alot deeper than before, and didnt know if the sunray would be able to hit the targets a little sooner than the garrett. The garrett is really good, just would like some opinions. Thanks for the info.

Marjam,

I believe the X-1 inline probe has been discontinued for some reason. You have to send them your upper shaft for modification. This is what they're website states anyway. You may find a used one if you search long enough. I would like to have one just so I wouldn't have to keep up with a stand alone probe.

OP
OP
M

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I saw they were dcd but i seen some for sale on ebay with the shaft. I watch the youtube vids and it looks like they hit a lot deeper. Does anyone know why they quit making them for the etrac?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's because the pinpoint is so accurate on the E

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont have an etrac nor that sunray,but I do have a v3i with a dx-1 sunray on it & the minelab profind,& garrett propointer. My opinión is both have there ups & downs both are very good
Pros: always attached ull never lose it, u dont have to worry about batteries dying,u get the full power of ur detector in a 1" coil (basically another detector),

Cons: machine is heavier, its limited length( on a cord)

Not really many cons I know of, but again they both are different one can show a description of whats there the other u get the package in 1 small peice, my opinión If u can find one with a price you can live with grab, you can always sell it If you dont like it being discontinued they will be in demand good luck hh

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am out of luck ever getting one for my ctx 3030 I guess :(

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am out of luck ever getting one for my ctx 3030 I guess :(

Keep an eye out on the online classifieds,eBay ect might take s bit but ull find one best of luck

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why did I think they were all detector specific? So any will work with all brands ? Or is it just mounting bracket issues , if that's all it's easy to fab up something

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No no u were right different model sunray probes for different detectors google the sunray site may give you a better idea

BombFarm

Tenderfoot
Nov 4, 2013
Central Coast California
Detector(s) used
Minelab etrac
Whites DFX E series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been told that the X-1 has been discontinued due to a huge price increase on a proprietary part (chip) that has to be sourced from Minelab themselves in order to construct the X-1. As a result you would have to pay around $600 for an X-1 today to make it worth while for the manufacturer to make one. I'm pretty bummed about that, because as a former Whites guy I loved my Sun Ray probe, and now find that the biggest thing I miss when using my new E-Trac is the fact that I don't have an inline probe for it, and I won't unless I want to pay a hefty sum for it on EBay.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been told that the X-1 has been discontinued due to a huge price increase on a proprietary part (chip) that has to be sourced from Minelab themselves in order to construct the X-1. As a result you would have to pay around $600 for an X-1 today to make it worth while for the manufacturer to make one. I'm pretty bummed about that, because as a former Whites guy I loved my Sun Ray probe, and now find that the biggest thing I miss when using my new E-Trac is the fact that I don't have an inline probe for it, and I won't unless I want to pay a hefty sum for it on EBay.

No I seen minelabe ones & whites one all around 200 If used

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's one on EBay now at $152 with 6 bids. It'll go for around $200 probably

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya i just saw it to I wisk they made,one for my deus xp

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both the Garrett and the Sunray. I bought the Sunray X-1 from a guy on Facebook for $178.00 about a month ago. I haven't used my Garrett since.

I don't know if the Sunray actually goes deeper, but seems to, but I sure do like having the multi tone and the E-Trac display in the hole versus the Garrett detect any metal tone.

PlayingInTheDirt

Nov 17, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Nokta Fors Relic, Sunray X-1 Probe, Garrett Pro Pointer, Coiltek Coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wonder if there is someway a person could mod some of the other models someway to work with the minelab has anyone tried or heard that it can be done? Just a thought I know I put my x-1 on my shaft myself it wasn't to bad to install.

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes curious if it just is mounting issues or other metal detector specifics that keep from useing on same brands , cause mounting would be an easy obstacle to overcome

PlayingInTheDirt

Nov 17, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Nokta Fors Relic, Sunray X-1 Probe, Garrett Pro Pointer, Coiltek Coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes curious if it just is mounting issues or other metal detector specifics that keep from useing on same brands , cause mounting would be an easy obstacle to overcome

Well, I know the connectors are different but you can mod the wire specs to another connector I know just need to figure out the diagram. I think it can be done I might be wrong the problem is having the other sunray probes to look at to tell. I know there is someone out there that has tried this or knows if we can reach them this might be a good thing....:)

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would love to look into this further , currious are these sunray probes waterproof? Been many times I could of used a water proof pointer trying to locate a coin in about a foot if murky water

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to look into this further , currious are these sunray probes waterproof? Been many times I could of used a water proof pointer trying to locate a coin in about a foot if murky water

They r not water proof. There was a vid on youtube of someone water proofing a Garrett pro pointer can't remember the name kf the guy, I know he does a lot of water detecting.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The drawbacks I saw on the Sun Ray setup was the weight/balance issue and that it would only work on that specific detector. I have lots of different brands and models so a universal one was what I was looking for. The Uniprobe fit that bill nicely. The probe is attached to a set of headphones and then attached to your detectors speaker jack. A flip of the switch on the ear cup and you're in pinpoint mode. A flick back and you're detecting again. The probe and cable are waterproof but the headphones are not. If you need a fully waterproof pinpointer, the VibraProbe 580 works excellent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread