The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you hold the probe up in the air and hold it still, does it false?

I had some erratic behavior with the SE/X-1 combo that required me to, at times, toggle the pinpoint button once or twice to engage the probe properly. Otherwise I never had it false as you describe (different sensitivity limits for coil/probe).

I believe I might have read something about this, but I can't remember where...something about using two programs...one for the coil and one for the probe. If I remember and it's relevant I'll post it.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It should act just like your machine. I find that they respond to lots of things in the dirt so you will get lots of false little signals but. You can tell when you have a real target it should sound loud and clear. :read2:

So your answer is, Yes ! :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH!! ;D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MXT Man said:
: Is it normal for the X1 probe to emit false signals when the sensitivity is set high on the SE detector without the detector falsing. I have to reduce the sensitivity while using the probe to avoid excess falsing. What is my problem?

YES The Detector Electronics are Too
Powerfull For the Small Probe.

Only Fix is to Turn back the Sens.

I Had this Problem wih the Explorer XS

Complained to SunRay & this is
Pretty much what they Insinuated.

Best I Can Explain My Expierence:

On the Sovereign XS the Signal
From the Probe works like This

Copy of Picture.jpg

On the EXploer XS with Full Sense,
it worked Like this

Picture.jpg

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
"The beep" is right: hold the probe motion-less and still on the ground. Then gently wiggle the chord, at various spots along its length. Does it chatter with chord wiggle? If so, you might have a frayed chord. Another thing to try: while holding the probe and chord motion-less and still, tap on the junction box where the toggle switch is. Does that give falsing sound? If so, you might have some weak solder spots in that box.. Lastly, try this: holding everything motion-less and still, tap on various spots of the probe itself. Does that set it off? If so, you might have an internal problem in the probe itself. But you have to hold it absolutely motion-less for this test (even to the extent of duct taping it to a concrete surface), lest you merely be getting falses from subtle movement of the chord.

If either of these 3 things causes the flutter (in the absence of metal targets), then you might have a malufunctioning probe. Because it seems to me, that if your detector got no falsing at whatever settings you were at (sens. level, etc...), then neither should the probe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread